Anybody caught flathead catfish on crawdads??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadsteven, Jul 20, 2006.

1. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    any body ever caught flatheads on crawdads??i caught two small ones the other night around 2-4 pounds but i was wondering if anyone has caught any big ones on them

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I havn't but I keep reading in threads and mag's that they are good baits as long as they are naturally in the waters you fish. I hav'nt targeted flatheads yet though.

3. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    i haven't caught any flats on them but there excellent for channels n blues..iv Had some good luck with them for those

4. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We've caught alot of flatties on crawdads out of White River (IND.) Helgramites are also another good one, if they occur naturally in your waters. After living in Sulphur Louisiana for a couple of years I've found a much better use for crawdads though. Mm-m-m-m.:wink:

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    For me personal, crawdads is a poor bait, have not caught a flathead on them also talked to some old river rats about same, blues and channels, bass , They seem to work best on blues when river or lake is up and out in fields or mud flats, have pick up some blues on set lines in hot part of summer, on big nasty looking crawfish, for rod and reel I always like a softshell, 3 to 4 inches long, or smaller for bass,.
    With that being said , I probley wont use them unless bait real hard to get.
    And that maybe just be me or this area to. May be different somewhere else . 50 + years of fishing.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Never a flathead, have caught just about every other kind of fish on them though!

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Live moving smaller fish like bluegill, shad, or skipjack work alot better.

8. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea i usually use sunfish chubs or shad but i was just wondering cuz i read in a magazine that crawdads are good flathead baits at times so i was just wantin to know wat u guys thought thanks for the info

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I read a study of stomach contents that said they are a big part of small flathead's diet, but almost never found in the big ones.

10. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Sure a lot of times. You need to catch large crawdads though if you don't the channel get them too soon.

11. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    no i havent but i have used them once so..
    that dosent mean nothin lol

12. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Never had much luck with crawfish. Besides that that taste too good to use for bait

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught a few flatheads on crawdads, but none of any size. The biggest was probably 5lbs.

14. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A bigger cat wouldn't waste it's time searching around for such small bits of food. That'ld be like us searching around for hidden peanuts. Find one here, maybe find one there. We'ld starve looking for enough to eat. Big fish need big food. IF crawfish were the size of lobsters it would be different. Uu-u-u-u crawfish the size of lobsters, doesn't that sound just yummy,Mm-m-m-m.

15. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the past I have used them and excellect sussess on lakes and reserviors.I usually got big Channels and Bass. Here of late,It doesn't seem to matter what I use I can't buy a bite,so I don't know what the problems is!:confused2:

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I think it has a lot to do with where you fish, if you fish a small river, or a large creek, I think you have a better chance of catchin a big op on crawfish, then you would in a big lake or river.jmo

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yes, I've caught many cats on crawfish....When I was younger I used to run lines with my father and we used nothing but Crawdads and Cottonseed cake for bait on the Meramec river and would never come home empty handed. Most of what we caught was Channels and Blues, but we would catch the occasional Flathead and can remember on more than one occasion catching large fish. The largest Flathead we ever caught was around 60lbs. on a Crawdad in shallow enough water that the back of the fish was sticking out of the water. As for the theory that you can't catch large fish with them I'd have to say that I dont' agree with that....we caught alot of fish and more than a few large ones using this batting method. Never could find them big enough or in the numbers we wanted unless we went out and pulled that damn seine through some obscure creek and got our own. we normally baited with large daddies averaging 4-5 inches long (with their claws). If all you can find are smaller ones then I would suggest heading into some shallower water and fishing for small mouth....you'll tear 'em up!

18. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    My grandpa used to use them all the time on the river it is his favorite bait we have caught big channel and flatheads on it here the drum usually find them first though.

19. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've filled a small trotline with crawdads and caught a few good channel, but no flats hooked up. I find that crawdads are one of the more inconsistent baits.

20. Kattywumpus

Kattywumpus New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I cut the stomachs open on 3 big flatheads this summer. Each had a crawdad inside. However, I caught them on live rock bass.