Anybody Catfishing Lower New River?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverdawg-1, Jun 2, 2008.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've been hitting Claytor pretty hard and doing well, but have not catfished in the river in a few months. Is anybody catching any flatties yet?
    Chip

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother and a few other people caught 3-4 cats last weekend, but nothing very big. Give me a shout sometime and we'll try to hook-up.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I haven't been diving this year yet but I always see some big flatties at Peppers Ferry.

4. The Big Un

The Big Un New Member

State:
    Virginia
    willie,
    when you dive at peppers ferry are you seeing the flats around the pylons or up closer to the rapids?

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    There are two deep holes directly across from the boat ramp that are 45 feet deep. There are always some in there. I saw a school of about 20 of them there one time and the smallest was about 15#. They also hang out in the weeds in shallower water and under any big debris such as logs, tires, etc. I've seem them up to about 35-40# in there. I also saw a huge Blue Cat there once that had to be near 100#. It must have been a male because it was long and skinny.

6. The Big Un

The Big Un New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm new to the catfishing game and so far my luck isn't anything to brag about. I've been bass and muskie fishing for years with, generally speaking, no problem but this catfishing thing has me stumped. Any advice on location, bait, rigs, etc.... for fishing flatties in the new? Anyone?

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Without electronics, patience is the key! I have fished for hours without a bite, in a place I knew held big cats. When they start to feed you can get several in an hour. Around here, almost any live fish works good for bait. I cripple mine by trimming the tail and dorsal fins, so they swim funny. Throw them out with a slip rig and just wait.

8. The Big Un

The Big Un New Member

State:
    Virginia
    willie,

i see where you're a contractor, what field? I'm in electrical wholesale distribution.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Plumbing, electrical, re-modeling, hydraulics, HVAC, I do it all.

10. The Big Un

The Big Un New Member

State:
    Virginia
    well i'll be on the lower new this evening and tonight. Anybody else going?

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Where on the river did you fish and how did you do? i went bank fishing at Claytor sat night and caught a 4 and 9# flatties and a small hybrid.
    chip

12. The Big Un

The Big Un New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I did fairly well. Went behind the golf course using chubs, caught 3 flatties. The biggest was 13# and the other two were 5 and 4. And of course smallies here n there.......