Anybody catching live bait yet?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by millertimemarine, Apr 29, 2008.

1. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey guys, has anybody been catching any bait lately? I haven't had any luck catching shad. I've tried clinton and the kansas river and no luck. Although i was able to catch some minnows at the entry to the kansas river at the cedar creek boat ramp the other night. No nightcrawlers either.
    Thanks for any help, Jake

2. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I dont have a boat so i'm just throwing a net from the bank. Also kinda worried in some places about getting my net snagged. What about down the spillway of clinton?

3. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    Jake

I havent been able to find good numbers of shad either, but I would plan on setting your alarm clock for thursday night. If we really get a good storm like they say, plan on getting up sometime in the middle of the night and looking for crawlers right after that rain, and before the sun comes up. in my part of the world (just 40 minutes from you) you can walk down the road and pick them up during and after a nighttime rain. of coarse some places are better than others, but I got 50 worms in about 15 minutes after the last rain. April and may are the best months to find them out in the open. I find a bucket with some potting soil, rather than dirt will keep them alive and also easy to find and get back out when you need them.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    here in central kansas we are catching lots of carp and bullheads and crawdads out of the creeks and the bottoms with a throw net

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I haven't had much luck netting any shad either. I have had good luck catching sunfish from a farm pound though. I have been fishing the river with them cut in half and putting the front half on a hook. Have been getting better results with them than anything else right now.

6. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    what should i look for when trying to find bait in the feeder creeks? or should i just throw out and hope to get something. that kind of goes back to me worrying about snagging the bottom. i guess you could say i'm more used to just throwing a net off of the beach in florida and off of the boat ramp at the cedar creek boat ramp access for the kaw.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont take this the wrong way but last year i went thrue 4 nets just catching good baite for our trips and believe me i wish i could get away from snags but i have certain spots where i catch baite and sometimes i get caught and tear my net not trying to sound rude hope you dont take this the wrong way hope you find your bait

8. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    oh no you're fine. if its inevitable then thats just the way it is. i didnt know if you guys ever got snagged or not and used some way to avoid it. the net i have was cheap at walmart anyways. thanks

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have not had any luck either. I tried for some time on Saturday on 2 differeent lakes, I even tried a worm to get some gills and still no luck. I can not figure it out. The bit seems real slow as of late. I have spot that I normally can catch gills every cast of the pole but this year I have only caught 2.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    as far as shad 2 weeks ago i caught some shad but as of lately only carp and bullhead in the net

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    It is unusual. Usually by now Ive got more shad than I can handle out of Olathe Lake, but for some reason they havent moved in yet to the usual holes I get them out of. I think the global warming factor is shifting the seasons, and pushing everything back a month or so. Ill keep trying, and Ill let you know when theyre in there. :big_smile:

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The only "baitcatchers" I've seen on Milford Lake so far are the Pelicans, Gulls, and Cormorants. Oh yeah, seen Osprey's pull a couple of big ones up too.:smile2:
    I think some of the reason we're not seeing many shad, was the HUGE kill we had early this year. Most were spawning size shad, plus some smaller shad.

13. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Fresh shad is about all I use and this year after the big winter kill it has been hard to find. I usually have no trubble finding them on my sonar but not this year it has been tough. I have a good color/gps system and have had to spend upto 4 hours looking at times. And for nets last year I trashed 11 8 footers and this year I am on #3. I just mended a three foot rip and two foot rip today. The shad are in the feeder creeks and tight to cover. I think because they are not in big groups. Perry seems to have the best populations this year. Good luck

Attached Files:

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Thanks for letting me in on the winter kill at Curtis Creek back in February,
    Jim! The bait in the freezer gives me one less excuse to keep me from
    going fishing. The last few years I've been mostly sitting in my front room
    watching TV and talking to my dog. I need to be out on the bank of the
    river muttering under my breath about the weather and watching my lines.
    I know that the shad are technically deadbait, but the freezer keeps them
    real close to fresh killed. I'm starting to think they smell pretty good, they
    smell like victory!

15. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I went out to Clinton yesterday and threw the net around the mouth of rock creek and couldn't get anything. I saw a few jump though. I might try goin down there this weekend at night and shining a light in the water to see what i can bring up.

16. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jake, I have been catching a lot of bullhead on worms/small pieces of liver by log jams out at Hillsdale. Mainly where the Big bull creek runs into the main lake. As for your cast nest and shad, I feel your pains. I have been finding all of my shad right here in Edgerton at the city lake. It seems like they are hugging the cool water coming through the drain pipes from the upper creek. I haven't really been catching a lot, but enough to set some bank lines. Been netting lots of bluegill/sunfish though. As far as a ripped cast net, brother that is par for the course. I usually go through 3 a year! Good luck though man!

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Is there any decent cats in that Edgerton City Lake?

18. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i went out today and caught alot of carp at the diversion dam on the arkansas so i went out and set a trot line in a sand pit and ill tell you how i did tomorrow and used the rest to go fishing and caught a 15lb flatie on a 6inch carp on the arkansas river

19. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There are some OK channel cats in there. As far as flatheads go, I am not for sure. Never caught one there. Supposedly, there are some in there though. I plan on setting a few bank lines this spring/summer just to check!:wink:

20. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    went out again yesterday afternoon and didn't catch anything on both rod and reel and in the cast net. don't know whats goin on. maybe its just a little too early for Clinton yet.