Anybody Catching Anything

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JAYNC, Jan 8, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Hello all, just wondering if you have hung up the rods till spring or if people just havent been posting anything lately. I have been fishing every couple weeks on the neuse river between new bern and kinston. Havent caught a lot but have caught some. Biggest one lately was a 33# blue just after thanksgiving, not a monster but not too small. Other than that a couple 20# blues and a few smaller ones. Still catching them on eels, that is until the shad start running, then I will try to use them. Let me know how you all are doing, it seems like everyone turned their computer off until april. :cool:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just to let everyone know I recently caught another monster blue in the neuse, I will be posting a picture soon, I have a 50# digital scale and it read 54#'s so who knows what it really weighed. :)

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I went out last weekend but do to a lack of a boat, got slam skunked. I've only caught one catfish in the past month...I really need some options! I've got this new rod, and I can't find a fish with it....nothing worse than a rod that won't catch fish...I seem to be getting a few of these in my collection. Jay, mind if I tag along sometime...:cool:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrats man, thats awesome. Man I have not been out now in about 2 weeks....I gotta get back on the water.

Zakk.:)

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Anyone on here is more than welcome to come with me, The bite is pretty slow right now but they still do bite once in a while. Just PM me and we will go.

7. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    went last weekend also got skunked couldn't even catch bait

8. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Arkansas River heavy bite last weekend probably caught close to 100lbs of blues, one fish to 45lbs. Can't wait to get back out

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went out saturday night for about 8 hours and didnt even get a bite. Water was high and with the really cold nights on thursday and friday it took the water temp from 52 degrees all the way down to 45 so I think it turned them off. Well maybe next time. :cool:

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Water temp is back up to 52 degrees in the neuse but I still didnt even get one bite. I was out there for 8hrs on friday night, tried a bunch of different spots but they werent hungry. anyone else catching any.

11. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    wassup jay? me and my bro set some limb lines in smithfield last weekend and caught 5. they are slower to bite when its cold. use some cut herring and leave it in the sun a couple of days before you use it.
    believe it or not, shrimp soaked in vanilla extract for a week is awesome for channels and blues. (no, really) i was told about it 2 years ago and it works very well.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I will give it a try but lately its been too cold to go anyways, epecially at night. I couldn't buy a nite last friday night, even though the water temp was 53 degrees and air temp was 60. I guess maybe it was the front that was coming in messing with the fish. Who knows, I will keep trying. :)

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I went over here at Lake Gaston, NC sunday morning, my dad got one 10lb blue cat. Bait was pretty easy to catch.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    As far as the neuse goes where can you possibly find shad, or other large baitfish. I have never been able to locate them or have never tried either because I dont know what to use or look for.

15. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i dont get my bait from the neuse(unless i cut up an unlucky bowfin, or when the shad run in early spring) but get bream from several local ponds and creeks. i used to fish for bream in the river when i was a kid, but it's much easier to get them from a pond. i dont know of a source for shad except early spring when they run in the neuse. herring, shad and mullet are pretty easy to get this time of year from fish markets. we tried some porgies a while back, but they didnt produce very well. cut eels work very well too.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I normally use cut eels and mullet but I guess they just werent biting the last few times. I normally can catch bream in the neuse but havent since about mid november. I guess I can catch some on ponds and use them. I will keep trying though.