Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of talking with a couple of old friends who commercial fish the Altamaha. They both are having a great year catching channel catfish. Both said it was one of the best years it had been in along time.

What disturbed me is their report on the Flathead. They're not catching the Flathead this year. Both said they felt it was a decline in the Flathead population… Neither had an explanation for the decline but both felt there was not as many Flathead catfish in the river as there has been over the past several years. Now that really bothers me…

Has anybody been catching any flatheads in the Altamaha this year? I have checked with several bait stores and nobody has reported any big Flathead catfish caught this year. There were relatively few flatheads caught in the tournament. I hope we're not seeing a downward turn in population…

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been catching my fair share of white cats and eels in brackish water...... nothing big though. How many miles down river from Everett City will still hold Flatties? The reason I ask, is because I fish out of Two Way Fish Camp in Brunswick/Darien. I have been fishing within one mile of that area. It appears I may have to go further up river, passed the I-95 bridge, to have a better chance of getting into the Channels and the Flatheads?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Saw a post on this site a year or so ago. Can't remember who made the post, but he said he had caught flatheads with-in sight fo the I-95 bridge. I'm no expert on flatheads but futher up the river, I think, would be better.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max…

If you’re looking for some eating fish there really catching the channels. A friend stopped by the house last evening and had 8 nice channel cats. He has 25 hooks out and was baiting them up for the night when he caught the 8. He gave me two (about 5 lb each), which made more than a mess of wild river cats. He’s using soap for bait… :shock:... That's what he said....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're still catching nice channel cats on bush hooks. We fished most of the night with rod and reels and caught some of the biggest ells I ever seen. My friend caught one that weighted over 3 lb. (estimated) By the way live ells make the best rock fish bait I have ever used. We did not catch a channel cat until around 8 o'clock that morning. We caught three that weighted between 2 lb and 3 lb each.

The Flatheads are on the bed... I'm going to try them this weekend...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.