Anybody been to carderock yet?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by potomacriverrat, Mar 21, 2006.

1. potomacriverrat

potomacriverrat New Member

State:
    maryland
    My work schedule changed and I haven't been yet this year. Anybody know what's going on up above the Cabin John Bridge?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I haven't been up there I was up around whites ferry and man the river is down maybe 3 to 4 feet. Jet motors only up there guys and hard to find a deep hole to fish, Ever the warm water channel is only around 2 feet we need rain.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I haven't been up there I was up around whites ferry and man the river is down maybe 3 to 4 feet. Jet motors only up there guys and hard to find a deep hole to fish, Ever the warm water channel is only around 2 feet we need rain.

4. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey Tim I've been around White's Ferry and Dickerson before. I never found holes like I got at Carderock!! Used to one could get down to the river at Ball's Bluff but I aint been there in years probably built up with yuppie mcmansions now. Ever tried the mouth of Goose Creek? I floated from White's to Alkongkian Park once years ago and caught enough to eat. Always wanted to do that again!! Also floated (and paddled!) from White's up Goose Creek to RTE 7. Good Smallmouth action with the occassional cat thrown in. Strangely enough there were lots of turkeys along Goose Creek. Tight lines 'Rat

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Rat ya we was down there and the ramp cross from goose creek was almost out of water that was one of the holes we found and right cross the river at the park was a good hole after that you was fishing 3 feet or less and most times alot less. The pipe above edwards ferry may have 6" of water running over it RAIN RAIN and MORE RAIN

6. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey Tim Rain is definitely what we need. My hole is just down from Carderock and above the American Legion Bridge. There are no ramps at carderock that I know of. Follow the blue blazes on the trail down below either (yellow or stubblefield ) I always get 'em mixed up and find the rocks that stick out into the water and load up on blues!! It's pretty deep there and I actually like low water there as it concentrates everything. The eddy there is pretty strong. Call me if you want to go sometime My cell is 301 275 0657 or my work # is 301 982 0300 after 6:30pm I answer the work phone. Tight lines! 'Rat

7. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Rat....a few weeks ago, I put in at Fletchers with my small boat and headed south...found some nice deep holes and managed a 22 lb blue on a live chub. Marked alot of fish suspended but alot of wind heading the same direction as the tide made us drift too fast. Would like to hit that area again if the wind craps out.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Right below fletchers where the river opens back up you will see some big rocks about middle ways in the river. fish the flat right above them just off the channel mid way between the tides. try cut chubs or herring chicken hearts are great to you can thank me later ;)

9. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

I didnt hit the flats but I know exactly where you're talking about. Might have to check that out....

Will hit the lighthouse at Ft Washington or the 495 bridge/blue Plains area this Saturday and Sunday if your out. I'll be in my small beater boat since my partner is in New York catching tiny little perch....HA!

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    great i will be out the next 3 days i have 3 trips in a round so i will post tomorrow nite when i get back.

11. Potomusky

Potomusky New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good luck to you lucky guys that can make it out this weekend. Last weekend we found some very nice blues and channels even after the cold front. This weekend should be great.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey guys anybody fishing in the DC waters on the potomac the river police or checking everybody. Have everything up to date when you come up that way Hate to see you give them our money. Water up to 62 and the bites our hard hold on to them rods. 20 lber are popping up everywhere cutbait and chicken hearts have been working great

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    uhoh... hmmm i may not win the up coming tourny then... or maybe it'll just make it easier for me to win... who knows? ;-)

14. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

I think I saw you zippin' down river past the lighthouse yesterday around 9 or so. Hope you got some fish for your customers...we didnt do so hot. The only fish we could find that'd stay on were eaters in 45-60 feet, right off the bottom along the current break. The fish wouldnt touch a chub fillet but would smack a chub head. My boy had a really good fish on but it came off. He's not used to using circle hooks yet. Fixing to take off for the river here in a few minutes so hope to see someone out there. ALOHA!

PS>>>The only person thats ever checked for my licenseregistration has been the Maryland DNR guy out of Ft Washington. And he checks me EVERY TIME without fail. I guess I look like a criminal.:cool:

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey marty it was just the DC guys checking alot of boats but they seem to stay away from me most have check me over and over so now they just wave and pass on by. As for the fish we had 4 nice one and lost a 5th one I found two spots that was holding fish that would bite. we ended up with 15 total but 4 big cats its a good day anytime. they seem to enjoy the trip and thats the big thing show them a great time fish or no fish.

16. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey h30, work's been busy good job on that 22lber!!! My spot is above Fletcher's. I've been a bank catter all my life so you guys got the upperhand on me it seems lol. holler at me someday and we'll catch some nice ones at Carderock. My work schedule will allow me to fish mon May 15. I know it sucks but I recently got promoted and ... well damn right now work has got to be first. Hopefully on the 15th the River will be fishable that day.

17. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Rat...may have to take you up on that offer. I have a small boat but it'll work if there's a place near to launch it off the bank. PM me with your phone nr and I'll see if I can manage to "call in sick". Sorry about the promotion:rolleyes:

18. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    Where is carderock?

19. potomacriverrat

State:
    maryland
    hey Arync Carderock is above the American Legion Bridge on the MD side. Park in lot to left and walk down trail following blue blazes and get past Stubblefield falls. Anywhere after that is good. Cut bait works good. Read the Potomac river stages part on the weather page in the "com"Post and only go down there when the river is 4.0 and below. Good luck and tight lines 'Rat