Anybody been spoonbilling around Lake of the Ozarks or Truman Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by trashman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    hey ppl just wandering how the spoon billing was doing .Im trying to put together a trip so let me know how its been thanks

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Brent, I snagged at ivy and coffey bend today we didnt get any big enough to keep, it seems like it is mainly small males moving right now, I think a couple more weeks and the water will be warm enough to get the sows moving up.

3. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    thats great to hear i cant get out till weekend after next thanks for the heads up.this is going to be my first spoon bill trip so i need all the info i can get

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I tried it off Roadhouse Dock below the 65 bridge and never touched a fish Friday during the day. There was only one fish tied to a boat that I seen. Also, I seen two small bills flop on the surface about 20 foot out in front of the dock.

A boat full of about 6 people came in and said that they didn't have anything yet that day, but the day before they boated 8 paddlefish down around the 80MM. They didn't state how big though.

Although its not Truman/Lake of the Ozarks, me and two other fellers landed 7 bills opening night down on the James River Arm of TAblerock. The biggest fish was only about 50 pounds. They were up on shallow mud flats flopping around around 2:30 - 3:30 am when we got into them.

5. ron

ron New Member

State:
    mo
    Iwent sat on the osage caught all small ones no keepers did see alot tie to other peoples boat

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Where at on the Osage did you snag at? I like to eat the Osage paddlefish better than the big ones from TAblerock, but we haven't had much luck there the past couple years.

Last year we did get into a school a few miles below the 54 bridge below Bagnell Dam. We've not done that good for a while though.

7. ron

ron New Member

State:
    mo
    we put at osceola and snag from there to roscoe the hot look to me like right at or just before the sac that where i seem the most caught

8. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    We snagged Sat-Sun on the Niangua and Little Niangua arms of LOZ. Very poor fishing. Only 2 fish the whole weekend, and one was short. The other was a 41 lb. male. Saw very few fish caught, and reports from snaggers was about the same. Surface temp was around 50, and water has been flowing through the lake good by looking at the level changes, but I guess they're not up yet. May try again in two weeks.

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    this is my first year going for them and all Iv caught are bighead carp.

I saw a gill netter catch a couple spoonies in the exact place I snag at but I could not get any. of course he had about a hundred carp and a couple blue cats but he asked if we wanted the catfish and we said no just throw it back I would rather catch it with my pole. he ended up giving us a huge carp to use for bait. this was before we started snagging. but its so fun snaggin bigheads we almost dont even care to go fishing with bait anymore. almost like we got spoiled at the 20 lbers we catch at least every 3 casts. we need to get those stupid things out of our rivers. they are ruining the catfishing.

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If I had a boat, I would love to come down there and spend the day snagging those things. It's a lot of fun when I hit one on the Osage, but I only get on here and there.

11. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Anyone have insight into positive ID of spoonies on sonar? We just put a new Eagle 480 on my dad's boat, upgraded from an old Humminbird unit. While I get the general idea that they will be big, and saw many good schools of small fish and big arches this weekend, with the lack of fish hooked I wasn't sure if I was seeing spoons down there or not. They definitely weren't stacked in there b/c nobody was hookin up much, so I'll need to get more practice on it when the fish are running better. Just trying to gain knowledge of what to look for on the unit, since its critical for snagging in that much water.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Had a couple friends come down from Ia. this wk end and fished up on Truman. We had 3 fish tied on the boat within a hour each day with the biggest being 66 lbs. I caught on Sat. Only one male and the rest where nice females. We chased walleyes and crappie the rest of both days.
    Heres a pic. of Sat. and another from Sun.

Attached Files:

13. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    You don't get a name like spoonfish because you can catch crappie! This guy can smell'm like a coon dog. He'll say "snag" and brother you better get with it! The man is GOOD! Hannibal Mike

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish Troy, I need you to tell me how to rig for that sometime.

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Nice fish Spoonfish....I'm looking forward to snagging up there sometime this year.

16. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Nice fish . . . awesome.

17. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What part of Truman did you catch those. I had some friends at Osceola and they didn't do any good. If things work out I might try to go on Sunday as it may be my only chance to go this year.

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thats as good area David, head up river between there and taberville and you should be able to find some. Good luck out there if you go Sunday.

19. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Nice looking fish Troy. Thats a little closer to the size cats I plan on catching in May when I come back down.

20. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    man those are some good lookin fish