Anybody a Birder?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SkiMax, Jul 2, 2007.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Just wondering if anybody around enjoys birdwatching. I am actually taking an Upper Level Biology of Birds class this summer and I am really enjoying it. Never realized how many birds are actually in southern Indiana, I saw over 50 species on our first field trip. I now take my binoculars out whenever I got onto the lake. Saw several different species of ducks last time, some herons, loons, bald eagle and even managed to catch a glimpse of a screech owl at sunset. Anybody else ever go out?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont really go all out for it but I have a NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS book and I have the ones I've seen marked ,i've seen quite a few over the years.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'm fortunate to live in an area that migrating waterfowl frequent. However, it's been many years since I've gone on a birding trip. These days, I'm stuck watching the cormorants raiding the stocked trout.

Other birds that I see when I fish include mallards, teals, coots, herons, egrets, and Canada geese. The geese are resident birds.

The common land birds in this area include pigeons, sparrows, blackbirds, scrub jays, crows, and red tailed hawks.

-- Rich

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    rich if you are lucky enough to be in a position to see pigeons on a dayly basics yuve been watching the most beautiful bird in gods land.i have a loft of around 400 birds and spend many hours just watching them fly.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    L am a birder thought it was for nerds one of my Drs talked me into it and I found out how fun it is when you find a new one that you can put on your list

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I like "birding", but not in the sence that you like it. :smile2: But any hobby that keeps you outdoors is a good one. :wink:

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love to watch the birds! We have 3 feeders with mixed seed in the yard, 2 birdbaths, and 3 hummingbird feeders, hung right at our windows, so we get a bird's-eye view all the time :wink:
    Never have kept a log of sightings, but this'd be a good time to start. With several new brushpiles in our yard, many new varieties have decided to make our little half-acre their home. Like Richard, we have a book to look them up - the Audubon Society Field Guide. Then often we'll hear birdsongs/chirps that we can't identify and try to locate those by playing audio clips online. Like bein a detective sometimes! Still can't figure out who's makin this sound like "peek-a-tchoo, peek-a-tchoo" with the accent on the peek... lol.

We've always had resident cardinals, jays, goldfinch, eastern bluebirds, titmouse, chickadees. mourning doves... but just this year there's been a whole flock of indigo buntings move in, plus mockingbirds, baltimore orioles, and even some sightings of rose-breasted grosbeaks, which I hadn't seen since Northern Michigan. I even like to watch the fat ole crows hop around the yard. It's surprising how gentle they are... don't mess with anybody and the little birds aren't afraid of them. The bluejays are a different story... they'll perch at the door and squawk, wanting the cat food bowl refilled. It's fun :smile2:

8. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    We have bird feeders out also and I like to watch them out there while im online talkin or workin. my desk is positioned right by the huge slidin glass door so i can see outside adn have good natural lighting. I havent tried to keep up with them either but it sure is peaceful watchin them.

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Well i do LOVE to see the Bald Eagles fly over lake Guntersville here in Alabama! Man its just so COOL!!!:cool2:

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Max,

I love birds to the extent that when I hear one that I can't ID by it's call, I have to see if I can find it, in a tree. I once heard a bird every night, all night long, until I had to ID it. It was coming from my neighbor's Bradford pear tree, so I walked down around 1 in the morning and figured out it was a mockingbird. They must do this when they are nesting, because they don't do it all the time. Does anyone know? I just never knew that they sang all night. I even recorded her singing and use it as my cell phone ringer.

Now I have one of these in my maple tree out front, nesting. I can't wait to see the babies.

http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/nflicker.htm

Birds are fascinating. I was sad to find a beautiful blue bird and robin all on the same day, dead in my yard. Not sure what killed them, as they didn't have a mark on them, that was visible to the eye. Just to be on the safe side, I burnt them in my bonfire. (in case they had west nile or a bird disease, that didn't need to be spread)

Yesterday at the lake, I watched a kingfisher, fish for his dinner, and a small baby crane, do the same. I was hoping to spot the eagles that are making a comeback here, but the couple of huge birds I saw, were too far up for me to ID. I love to see the blue herons at the lake, and often snap their picture.

I feed the birds in the winter and make sure they have plenty of water in the summer. I occasionally throw treats out for them in the summer. I have a huge hedge in front of the house, that I throw old bread into, and this spring there were 4 different kinds of birds that nested in it and raised their young. What a site to watch!

Thanks for an interesting thread.
    Take care.
    Cheryl

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had the "bird" flipped at me so many times I quit watchin'...:smile2:

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

:smile2:, I had to quit watchin' for those kinds, as I can't see them anymore, either.

Thanks for the laugh.
    Cheryl

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I actually learned today that they are reintroducing Peregrine Falcons into the wild here in Indiana. Man that would be a cool one to see! I have started a list but I am not much into the Passerines (songbirds). I enjoy the hawks, eagles, herons, kingfishers, owls, etc much more, guess i just like the big strong birds. Although we watched a pileated woodpecker flying the other day, that was pretty cool. Next time u see a woodpecker check out how they fly, they fly up and down instead of in a straight line because they do not have great lift. kinda neat to see how birds have understood aerodynamics for thousdans of years and we have only known for 100.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yes they fly differently, so that if you aren't sure of what bird you are seeing, and they sorta 'skip' up and down thru the air, then it is a woodpecker. Each one of them have a different call, though, has been my listening experience.

Yesterday when I heard a strange call, I wondered if it was a Kingfisher and it was, so now I know what some of them sound like. It was quite interesting watching him catch minnows, for his lunch. He did better than I did.........:wink:.which doesn't take much.

Take care.
    Cheryl

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have a feeder in my yard and I enjoy watching them while hunting and fishing. Im not a dedicated birder, I just past the time waiting on other things like deer and fish.

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's a big loft. What have you got? Rollers, homers or a combination of everything? Do you competition them?