Anyboby fishing Milford this weekend?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by leatherpuke, Aug 27, 2009.

1. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just wondering if anybody was heading out to Milford lake this weekend. I thought I might try and find some new bank fishing spots.
    Anybody feel like laughing at a nooby catfisherman?:wink:

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Damn Bennet, that round trip to Milford Lake from your "location" must be a heck of trip, you goin awol:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be shore fishing this weekend, West side of the lake, North of Curtis Creek park entrance. I'll be in the "Catmobile" (postal jeep) with rod racks on the roof.:smile2:

What'll you be driving?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009

3. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'll be in a silver honda odyssey. Yes I drive a mini-van........but it's an AWESOME mini-van!

Look for the Van with German license plates.

What time and day are you planning on being there?

4. sfcbrown

sfcbrown New Member

State:
    KS,Enterprise
    I was thinking about hitting the spillway Sat Morning maybe head out there tonight on my way home since they have finally started releasing some water. Ill be in a white Blazer with TX purple Heart plates if anybody wants to stop by and chat

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    He is there ALL the time.:wink: Lives 1/4 mile from Curtis Creek.
    If you like beer, you will get along great.:smile2: My advice would be to take him some Exotic German BEER as a friendly gesture.:roll_eyes: He can tell you all you would ever want to know about Milford.:cool2:

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Just get there early like 6-7am.He gets grumpy after 8am...:smile2::smile2:

Just Kiddin of course.....Although Jim has changed his sleep time a little since his stay in the hospital.

7. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, the wife just informed me that I have to go pick up a washer and dryer on saturday morning.:angry: So it looks like saturday afternoon and sunday morning for me.
    Maybe I'll pull an all nighter, who knows.

Gonna head to wally world tonight and get myself a cast net. I should be easy to find on the lake, just listen for the guy swearing up a storm.:confused2:

8. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    UPDATE:

I'm heading out now with my daughter. Gonna do some night fishing tonight, then probably again tomorrow night.

I'm going to head up to the west side, past that big marina, into the campground up there. Sorry, I don't know the names.

If anybody is in the area, you can reach me at 785-209-4016. I've got plenty of bait to share.

Tight Lines,
    Bennett

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Met Bennet and his daughter Haley(?) down at the boat ramp today. Went down to see if there were any shad, had just netted about a half a dozen, ,between boat launchings:roll_eyes:gave him those he just had some dip and punch bait. Told him about some of the areas we fish up North from the shore. His daughter and Cody got along real well:smile2:
    I didn't stay to long, hope they had some luck.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Jim.Everyone can alwas count on you for showing the fishing spots on Milford.I hope they catch some cats.

11. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well it was an interesting night for sure.

Jim showed me a few tips and got me pointed in the right direction, thanks Jim it was nice meeting you. I've never met anybody that had a dedicated catfishing truck before, I'm a little jealous.:big_smile:

We started out fishing with cut shad, that jim provided, and I threw a couple worms out for my daughter to catch some smaller fish. Within about two m minutes she hooked into a fish that I have never seen before. It was about 10 inches long, silver, and it had a blunt nose that extended slightly past it's jaw. I'm thinking it might have been a buffalo but I honestly have no idea. She caught another one later that was a little bigger.

Had a couple good hits on shad which I missed:sad2: but after a bit my Rod bent over and started going crazy...FISH ON!!! Or so I thought.

At first I thought I had the catfish of a life time because this guy was NOT moving. He would tug a little bit and then just felt like dead weight. After about 15 minutes of fighting I finally start to get him close to shore. WIth my daughter standing by with the net, I start wrestling this monster up to the surface. THen I see a HUGE flipper with big nasty claws come up out of the water! :eek:oooh: Followed closely by the ugliest head I ever seen, which promptly HISSED at us when it broke the surface!!

With my daughter screaming bloody murder I finally realized that I had hooked a snapping turtle! I'd say the shell was about 18-20 inches across and the weight had to be at least 10 pounds. After he got a look at me he decided he'd had enough and broke my line. Which is good because I was too freaked out to touch the darn thing anyway.

After that we caught a couple little channels on worms and I missed a few more strikes on shad but that was it.

All in all an eventful night.

Thanks again for the advice and the bait Jim, hope to hook up with you again for some good fishing.

Tight Lines,
    Bennett

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    them snappers are good eatin i tell ya (take it how ya want to y'all)

13. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll be heading out again here shortly. Going to see if I can find the super secret spot that Jim told me about.:wink:

If not I'll be at the same park where I ran into Jim last night, can't remember the name but it's the one right by his house.

Hopefully I don't hook into anymore of those evil turtles, I don't think my heart can take it.:crazy:

Tight Lines,
    Bennett

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Turtles should be no trouble for a guy packing a 50 cal, there, bro!

15. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know man, the ugly on that thing might have deflected the round.:smile2:

Anyway, fished the super secret spot last night and landed a couple channels, nothing big but still fun.

I officially start work tomorrow so my fishing schedule might take a hit. The Army just doesn't understand how important fishing is. They're always talking about terrorism..blah blah...national security..blah blah..Osama Bin Laden..blah blah...their priorities are just all screwy.:confused2:

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Bennet the fish your daughter caught might have been Golden eye. That is prime bait them waters. Next time you catch some keepem and use them for cut bait.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bennett, sounds like what Chris said, goldeye, excellent Catfish bait. The best way to tell for sure if it's a goldeye, stick your finger in it's mouth, if it won't come back out(your finger):eek:oooh:, it's a goldeye, they've got a mouth full of teeth like a piranha, 3 or 4 good size ones on their tongue too:wink::smile2:
    Take'em home and freeze'em, as I said, they're excellent bait.
    You're welcome on the bait and spots too, anytime. Glad you didn't keep "Ole Mossyback", he's been hanging around there for quite a few years now.
    Don't you be coming down here neither J.J.:smile2:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  18. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wait, you mean to tell me that that monster has a name?:crazy:

I would have named it " HOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT?" Cuz that's what I said when I saw it.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Didn't make it to the ramp or the main lake today. Son and Grandson came over from Abilene and did some work I needed done on the Catmobile. Gonna try to hit the lake tomorrow though.
    Weekends are kinda hard to get in my shore spots, lots or weekenders who can't fish during the week, so I really don't mine, I usually have all these places to myself during the week:smile2:

20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Of course they do, it's called the Kansas Army National Guard :smile2: They let me fish 28 days a month :smile2::wink: