any1 seasoned on making/repairing hoop nets?

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by da-cajun-angla, Mar 31, 2009.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i just goot 6 big hoop nets, but some are damaged and 1 isnt completed. it doesnt have the last two rings or throats. im trying to find out how to measure/make the throats, and how to attach them and the netting simultaneously to the ring, or if thats even how its done. im also curious how the srings holding the throat taught are attatched. also, when ur making the barrel<---think thats what its called,how do u measure the net to taper as to fit the rings and be tight? i know its a lot of questions.
    thanks in advance,
    shaun

2. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Have you thought about asking a local commercial fisherman...I am sure there are one or two around where you live. If you can't find any on your own go to a local tackle shop and ask if they know anyone who fishes with hoop nets.

You may get an answer here but I'm not so sure. Good luck!

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I build nets but we are too far apart. Try The Fish Net Co. in Jonesville, La. (www.fishnetco.com). They will give you a pattern but you need someone to show you how how to tie the knots. There is a store in Layfayette that sells nets but I can't remember the name.

Contact the Champlins in Jonesville, they will give you some leads as what to do.

Get your lisence. $20.00 for 5 nets.

Good luck.

4. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    The Pierre Part store has them and I am sure one of the oldtimers around there will help. I have a few but have never tried to build one.