Any welders around?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by lonegunman88240, Jun 8, 2006.

1. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    hi all im thinking about welding up a lightweight ladder rack on my midsize truck, i want to keep it as light as possible, i was thinking 1 inch square tubing, the steel depot lady said i had 3 options 1/8 inch thick walls or 24 guage and 16 guage, would 16 guage be to thinned walled? its main use would to be to haul around a couple of aluminum canoes, about 200lbs, any help is appreciated

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    16 guage square tubing would work good for a light weight rack for the canoes,but i would put gussets in the corners.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I make deer stands every year out of 3/4" square tubing and 1" tubing and use the 1/16" wall and while the 3/4" tubing used to hold me OK at 210lbs at 250 to 270lbs the 1" holds me just fine now.... OK, no fat jokes. I usually make them about 14' tall and have one brace from the back of the top seat connecting to the back of the foot platform to about 1/2 way down the ladder part. They flex a little when I'm climbing them but once I'm up there I can stand and move around with little or no movement from t he stand. If I make a taller stand I use the 1/8" wall but they are heck to get in the woods because of the weight. With proper design I would say use 1" square by 1/16" would work just fine but if your not a really good welder the thicker wall is more forgiving in that it is harder to burn through. With thinner wall tubing you have to keep you head in the game or you will burn right through and then spend time filling a hole.

4. It would really depend on what kind of terrain you will be running on. You could do with 16 if you feel you could brace it up good enough where 200 pounds wouldn't give the frame any trouble. But 1\8 inch gets heavy and probably wouldnt need much bracing to save on weight. I also assume you want this setup to keep your canoe level with the top of your cab? If that is the case a simple two bars across the cage to secure the canoe would do just fine like with most SUV's. Also if it is just for a canoe an extravagant setup wouldn't be practical. Last time i checked iron wasn't that cheap. If you could find something like the carpenters have to carry their ladders on the side and what not would do fine, just make modifications to the layout. If you need any help on making this work you could just reply to this with what kind of truck you have and canoe size I could think up with something that might suit you just right.

5. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I used to weld and fabricate - gusses and struts can give added strength without adding weight, I would think the 16 Ga. might be somewhat light.
    Construction has the major affect on overall strength no matter the material.
    Remember when you are hauling the canoe you have wind and road conditions to figure in not just the weight of the canoe.

6. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    The most important item is to remember even though your canoes are light wind resisitance will put way more pressure on your rack than most people can imagine. Just think about how many times you encounter bad weather on the way back from an outing. Remember how your vehical pulls to one side when you and an 18 wheeler pass each other on the highway.

Build your rack as safely as you can and don't fudge just to make your rack lighter. Remember if your canoe comes off your rack and causes someone else to have a wreck you are responsible.

Jesse

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I run/own a small fabrication/machine shop. If I was building this for a customer I would go no less than .125 wall and no less than 1" square. Reason I say this is because I know the person would try and put something up there that is way over the rated load. For instance, you obviously have a welder and will prolly be buying more steel in the future. Say you need to make something out of 3" pipe 1/4" wall and you need 60 feet total. Throw it up on the rack!! I would try overkilling it but not so heavy that it can't be lifted off by two people.

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The 24 ga tubing is very thin, the 16 ga has a .062 thick wall, the 1/8 tubing which is 11 ga will make a better rack and on a truck ,it want make any difference anyway,the truck will handle the weight. most likely in the future you will need to use the rack for different things you want to haul. On the welding ,you will only need 70 to 80 percent of penetration on your welds.......... hope this helps........steve

9. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    ok heres the specs, i have a gmc sonoma extended cab (same as chevy s10)short bed, my canoe is a 19 foot aluminum, my buddies canoe is about the same size, since my truck is 2wd i usually dont go over rough terrain. the canoe will ride level on the rack strapped down and the ends tied down to bumpers.
    the steel depot lady told me they have 1 inch tubing and the only thickness they had was 1/8 inch, 24 guage, and 16 guage, i want something that is going to last me awhile, i do have a welder a small 100 amp job, i usually put together what i want and tack it together then take it to a friend of mine that finishes the weld, i cant weld for crap lol never could.
    exactly how thick is 16 and 24 guage?

10. I did some looking and there is even a PVC rack a guy made. the picture is down at the bottom of the page.
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/canoe/rack.htm

Here are two applications they use for ladders, but could also be used for canoes.
    http://www.rampconnection.com/3ladderrack.shtml

http://www.conwaysales.com/usrack/ladderrack/ladderrack.html

Hopefully these can be of some use. I just went to yahoo and typed in ("canoe rack" truck) and it brought up these sites. This is a good thread, it may get those collective juices flowing for a great idea.

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    16 ga. is .062-1/16 in. 24 ga. is .040- .006 THICKER THAN 1/32 IN.

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    been making truck racks for 45 years we use 1x2 x .120 ts (tube steel) for the legs and cross pcs and 1x2 x .065 for the long runners 10'+ or -, on top of the runners cut some pc of 1x1x .065 ts 3" long and put 3 on ea side vertacle 1 on the end 1 in the mid and 1 over the front leg on top of them put 1x1 x .065 ts the same length as the runners, after welding the 1x1 to the 3" stubs heat and bend the 1x1 down to meet up with 1x2 runners and that will give you the sides, after the sides are made weld your cross pcs in and then brace with some 1x1ts 10" long with 45degree cuts on ea end to the cross pcs to the legs and runner to legs on the bottom of the legs use some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle cut 4" long with 1 hole for a 3/8 bolt on the end to mount the rack to the truck. add some hooks for rope on each leg, u may also want to make the rear cross bar removable if ur not planing on removeing the rack after each use. u will be able to hold anything the truck will hold with this rack and like others have said you'll be using it for other things

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N

Steve knows his welding he built a top for my cattoon out of 1 sq tubing it works great.

:cat:

14. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    yea i seen the pvc one the other day, and did consider it, but i think a ladder rack would be a better choice just for the fack if i did need to carry something other than the canoes i could