Any weakpoints in 6500?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jboy434, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i am going tomorrow to look at some used 6500's a guy has for sale and was wondering if there is anything on these reels that i need to look out for? is there anything that is bad about going out on them?

thanks for any help

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've had mine a few years. No problems, with good maintenance it might last forever.:0a23:

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    With normal wear, about the only thing that can wear out is the line pawl and the drag washers. Both of these items are cheap to replace. If it's abused, then the bearings might need to be replaced along with a handle if it's bent. Other than that, a good cleaning and lube will fix any that might be a little sticky or slow.

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Maintenance and oiling the levelwind mechanism will last for a long time. You may want to order a spare pawl from Abu, which is an interchangable part with the other Abu reels.

5. ollie

ollie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 5500c3 that I bought about 10 years ago to bank fish with. I have had no problems with it. They are very good reels. I just got a 6500 and I really like the clicker. I would check the basic functions of the reel and make sure the drag works properly. Ollie