any utah brothers out there?

Discussion in 'LOCAL UTAH TALK' started by dookiechrist, Jan 2, 2008.

1. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    just wondering where all the utahns are. was hoping for a little local insight. i am itchin to ice a cat, but never have . suggestions on where, when, and how, would be sweat.......

2. utcat

utcat New Member

State:
    Utah
    Best luck for icing one would be on Utah Lake. Around the marina's, possibly Provo at the mouth of the river. Careful ice is always questionable.

Best of luck

3. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    hey are you from around the ogden area if you are you might be able to take a few off of pineview or willard.

4. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    welcome to the boc zeb,this is a really nice place for imformation and good people. i tried echo yesterday, but didnt fish long, nasty little storm!! i did take my boy chase (9) for his first time on the ice and he caught 3 rainbows and 1 cutt-bow right off the bat all in about 15- 20 min. we left shortly after that spent most the day on snowy roads:cool2:... i have thought about utah lake and i think i'd prefer to go elsewhere, just in case i get hungry.. i do plan on trying echo again, i also plan to fish willard, and yuba soon.. and i didnt know pineview had channel cats ?

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    im pretty sure pineview has channels i know that they have bull heads.
    give it a try im going some time this weekend to try some musky and crappie.

6. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    whats the best wat to catch a musky ? thats another fish i would like to catch .... fished pineview before , caught a whole lot o perch.. good times..

7. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    one of the reasons i'd like to fish yuba is the pike ..as well as the channels

8. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    if you want to catch some nice size musky or pike use a shiney spoon through the ice. a guyu i know that was stationed in germany use to catch pike on any thing he could find that was shiney and has some red and white on it. you might try a large jigging spoon at pineview for the musky. or a large soft plastic minnow just off some weeds because all the bluegill hang around the weeds so you fish just a little off of them. i found some thing about the bigger pike if you take some cheese cloth and throw a couple of chicken livers in it but you tie it to you line ( no hooks needed ) and wait till it runs with the bait then yank on the rod and fight it out. you might want to use suffix braided line made by trilene ( awesome for salmon and halibut line ) use the braid though. talk to you later.

9. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    so these big guys dont go deep in winter?

10. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    in the winter they do go deep but they go in a little shallower towards a spot where you would find perch or bluegill. the bigger ones will stay deeper and feed on crappie and larger perch. as you should know though there main food steeple lives in the weeds or is semi cover oriented so you might give it a try around the weeds. good luck and hope you catch a biggun