Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Fished hard for 7 hours today, went to 4 different spots and still no cats today. Threw cut gills, live gills, livers, worms, chubs, and dip bait. Maybe I'll do better once the weather stays steadily cool.

Body of water Water resources Reflection Water Nature
Water resources Geological phenomenon River Wilderness Hill station

I'm guessing with the water temps still relatively high the feeding is still a night game especially for flats.

I also believe the massive increase in the muskie population has lowered the numbers of all other fish in the upper James and New river. I know a guy that fishes the New river religiously and he has had them attack both small mouth and small cats in the 2-5# range while they were on the line. This comes as no surprise. While I spent considerable time in Minneapolis I did a lot of fishing for Northern Pike and Muskie. Either fish when mature will eat things most people would never think possible. Literally nothing smaller than they are remains safe at chow time. I know a particularly good stretch of Craig Creek that was fantastic Chain Pickerel fishing and produced citation size fish about every trip. We spotted and hooked a muskie in the lower portion of that stretch about 5-6 years ago. Now they have wiped out pretty much everything in those holes. Our last trip down there we saw over a dozen muskie ranging well into the 40" range. We spent the entire day throwing lures at them and had several great chases but didn't drag any out. Those were the only fish we saw on a 5+ mile float. They are destroying the native fisheries. It is illegal for you or I to introduce "Invasive" species to a water system yet officials had no problem dumping those into every lake and river around here. With limits, size restrictions and no predators they will continue to spread and wreak havoc. We all need to voice our concerns and ask for a resolution to be sought out to reduce or remove these predators.

Discussion starter · #63 ·
I'm guessing with the water temps still relatively high the feeding is still a night game especially for flats.

I also believe the massive increase in the muskie population has lowered the numbers of all other fish in the upper James and New river. I know a guy that fishes the New river religiously and he has had them attack both small mouth and small cats in the 2-5# range while they were on the line. This comes as no surprise. While I spent considerable time in Minneapolis I did a lot of fishing for Northern Pike and Muskie. Either fish when mature will eat things most people would never think possible. Literally nothing smaller than they are remains safe at chow time. I know a particularly good stretch of Craig Creek that was fantastic Chain Pickerel fishing and produced citation size fish about every trip. We spotted and hooked a muskie in the lower portion of that stretch about 5-6 years ago. Now they have wiped out pretty much everything in those holes. Our last trip down there we saw over a dozen muskie ranging well into the 40" range. We spent the entire day throwing lures at them and had several great chases but didn't drag any out. Those were the only fish we saw on a 5+ mile float. They are destroying the native fisheries. It is illegal for you or I to introduce "Invasive" species to a water system yet officials had no problem dumping those into every lake and river around here. With limits, size restrictions and no predators they will continue to spread and wreak havoc. We all need to voice our concerns and ask for a resolution to be sought out to reduce or remove these predators.
I had a friend from Craig tell me there are Muskie in Craig's creek. I haven't fished it in years but I remember the smallmouth fishing being pretty good. Did VDGIF put them in or did the come up from the James?

I agree that the biologists saying they don't eat smallies is BS. I also don't doubt they'd eat smaller cats if given the opportunity. The section between Glasgow and big island do have Muskie but 20-30lb flats get caught regularly. I'm shocked I didn't atleast hook into some smaller channel cats in the faster water.

My understanding is they were stocked by VDGIF in the James and are migrating upstream in Craig Creek. I saw one a guy caught early this summer near the glider club above New Castle. It was 31" and was that far up stream. I have personally had both Small mouth and Redeye snatched off the line by them. All you see is the water swirl and the line snaps. The guy I was referring to on the New had pictures of a Channel Cat that was around 5 pounds one came up and demolished when fishing near Whitethorn. It was mangled from just behind the head back to its tail which was basically gone.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
My understanding is they were stocked by VDGIF in the James and are migrating upstream in Craig Creek. I saw one a guy caught early this summer near the glider club above New Castle. It was 31" and was that far up stream. I have personally had both Small mouth and Redeye snatched off the line by them. All you see is the water swirl and the line snaps. The guy I was referring to on the New had pictures of a Channel Cat that was around 5 pounds one came up and demolished when fishing near Whitethorn. It was mangled from just behind the head back to its tail which was basically gone.
I doubt VDGIF does anything about it though. The sad truth is we live near the Muskie fishing capital of the James and it's more popular than cats up here. If this was going on in Charlottesville/Richmond they'd had already addressed it.

I'm sure you are right on that. Its a typical political/ bureaucratic crock. They spend fortunes of tax dollars to screw things up. Might as well to have introduced Red Belly Piranhas, the outcome wouldn't been much different.
I know some areas still hold and produce fish. I don't believe the numbers remain though. Between over harvesting, pollution in the past and the predator factors I think the number of cats in particular are far lower.
My granddad and his buddies used to hit the upper James and New and catch dozens of cats every time out.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
I'm sure you are right on that. Its a typical political/ bureaucratic crock. They spend fortunes of tax dollars to screw things up. Might as well to have introduced Red Belly Piranhas, the outcome wouldn't been much different.
I know some areas still hold and produce fish. I don't believe the numbers remain though. Between over harvesting, pollution in the past and the predator factors I think the number of cats in particular are far lower.
My granddad and his buddies used to hit the upper James and New and catch dozens of cats every time out.
How big is the boat you have? My kayak finally sold Monday so I'm in the market for a 1448 or 1652 jon.

That looks like a nice boat. Sounds like you will be ready to roll if goes through.

I am still searching for a motor for my Jon boat. I may finally have me a lead on a big water boat as well. I have had so much going on I haven't had time to go look at it or work on the Jon boat.

I have been doing a ton of research on the commercial catfish harvesting on the lower James and have voiced my concerns on that as well as the need for catfish stocking on the upper James and New river. I have gotten the contact information for the VDGIF fishery manager for our area. I will be getting in touch with him next. Overall I have learned a lot during this research and it has raised more questions and concerns. This however is a topic for a different conversation.

Discussion starter · #78 ·
That looks like a nice boat. Sounds like you will be ready to roll if goes through.

I am still searching for a motor for my Jon boat. I may finally have me a lead on a big water boat as well. I have had so much going on I haven't had time to go look at it or work on the Jon boat.

I have been doing a ton of research on the commercial catfish harvesting on the lower James and have voiced my concerns on that as well as the need for catfish stocking on the upper James and New river. I have gotten the contact information for the VDGIF fishery manager for our area. I will be getting in touch with him next. Overall I have learned a lot during this research and it has raised more questions and concerns. This however is a topic for a different conversation.
I'm debating that boat. It's only 36 wide and I'm not sure if that's going to cut it. It does have 18 inch sides though so that probably helps stability.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.