Any truck drivers on the forum

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jeffjbeard, Mar 10, 2006.

1. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Hello was wondering if there where any drivers on board have been thinking about working as a driver anyone have any advice. Companys Schools or company ran schools pross and cons
    Thanks

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    '94 Dodge 1/2 ton, camper shell, hauling 6, R&R's, tackle box, bait, couple buckets full of this that and the other. Long haul is 25 miles away. I get r done ;).

So what you driving?

Seriously, I havent been a TD but neighbor is and makes a killing. Hard work, time away from home but if willing, you can make a killing.

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Baitkiller and Canepole both are Truck drivers here on our board.

They should be in here before too long to assist you.

4. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    jeffjbeard, I have driven for the last 16 yrs, and I'm 37 yrs old. It is a good way to make a living, if it's what you like. It's definetly not for everyone and isn't as easy as it looks. My advice would be to get your CDL learners permit and ride with someone you know, who drives, for a week or two and see if it is what you want to do.

Some of the big Cos. have there own schools and will teach you and put you in there truck and you have a contract to drive for a certain amount of time for them. There are alot of ways to get into it. If you are single and don't care when you get home, you can make ALOT of money. I currently drive for an LTL Co. called CCX. I am home every night and they pay very well. But like anything, you have to get experience first, and it's
    hard to get exp. when noone will hire you because you don't have exp. I hope I have been helpful and if you have any questions email me and I'll do my best to answer them. iowacatter

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Jeff

Sent you a PM.

"BORN TO FISH, FORCED TO WORK"!

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    been a owner operator all my life my advice is to follow what was said go for a ride along. it aint for everyone. when ever i am asked about it my favorite thing is to discorage a person if they can get through hearing all the bs about being a o/o then id say go for it would i drive for a company nope aint no way ever. if i was to start out in this day and age id never do it. to expensive. but for some to drive for a company its a great job. so do a ride along see if it is what you think you want.

7. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Thanks for your input on this guys. I think I might be looking at the company schools. Pay my dues then see if I need to move on for better pay or more hometime.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    TheKid is also a truck driver.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Question for you owner operators out there. What is the average rate per mile you guys are getting out there for van? Flatbed? I have a 96 pete, running regionally, get 80% of the load using company van and would get 85% if I bought my own trailer. I seem to be averaging approx. $1.19 per mile which hardly pays to put a driver out there. I believe my first driver was stealing fuel and i couldn't get him to drive over 1500 miles per week. I just hired a new driver and he seems to be working out, he drove 2200 miles in his first 3-4 days. I would appreciate any input to shorten my learning curve. Should I invest in a flatbed? New used, length, aluminum or steel? I would appreciate the help guys.

Thanks,
    Shawn