Any Tractor aficionados out there?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious if anyone is into restoring or antique tractors out there? Im new to the tractor game and can only afford a MF 135 ( not sure of year but between 66-72) and my restoring project will be doing all that I can to keep it running, Ill be learning along the way. I use it for bushhogging mostly but hope to add a front end loader to it at some point. Anyone else out there want to share some pics?

Salmonid

2. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Mark, good luck with your project. My family is involved with Farmalls, and we slowing are restoring them in spare time with some spare money. We have one of every letter of the letter seris. It is a good time restoring a part of our countries history.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats cool, so how many letters is in theFarmall letter series? Heck anyone who can afford multiple tractors that run must be a wealthy man!!:p Let alone older ones... ha ha
    Thanks for the reply,
    Salmonid ( Farmer in the making)

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mark,

You ever make any progress with this?

I am going to start replacing an older 1956 /1959 Ford 640 that I have been using.

I would love to find some conversion kits for the oil filter / Air filter, the live oil bath is killing me :wink:

Old girl has been working like a Champ so far, lot of Bush Hogging been done this summer, going to kick it into High Gear this winter.

Amazing how a 50 year old piece of Equipment still works this good.

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Most of the older tractors work lots better than the new ones, one of these days I will be able to get one.

Paul if you have a diesel tractor, check with a place that repairs diesel engines, some have adapters for the older engines to get away from the oil baths. If you don't have one local PM me the info and I will check here.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I re did a Ford 8n. I was quite happy to see they sell parts for them still. I love that little tractor!
    Bill

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    My dad has a Ford 9N, if I remember right, made in 1939. He's had it a few years, works his garden, hauls trees for fire wood, etc. Last Christmas I bought him the original owners manual, parts cataloge, etc. Got them online from an outfit in the midwest. He has gone nuts this past year ordering parts and rebuilding it. It shocked me the the original part numbers are still used when ordering from tractor supply houses. This summer I helped him put a new carb on it ... a rebuilt original carb (cast iron).

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Paul thanks for asking but at this point all I been able to do is keep the tractor running, ( it runs good) but in the year I had it I replaced a Choke Cable, 1 of the front tire tubes, bought a draw bar for it and had the timing of some sort adjusted and then also replaced a few of the exhaust gaskets,
    The bush hog I have had the blades sharpened 1 time and 2 times had some welding done on the shell. Nothing real expensive but time consuming and as far as me getting a front end loader on it, I did all sorts of research and found that it would be about 3k to add one, the loader itself isnt too badly priced but its all the dealer accessories where they get you. Soooo, I have the tractor for sale now ( mostly since Im unemployed again) and the next time around Ill pick one up for about 8 k that has a front end loader already on it, I realy could use one for the manure pile and fence row cleaning.
    Thats what I been up to and we are waiting for the fall bushhogging event to happen but we are now 8" over and above our normal rainfall here so my fields are all way too wet and have been all year. Until then Im waiting for the fields to freeze so i can get out and do some more clearing.

Salmonid

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    How much are you selling the Tractor for

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Longbo, I have it listed for 5200, only 1700 Hrs on it, BTW!
    I got pics if interested....
    Salmonid

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    my brother had a 1952 JD40 it was almost identical to our grandpas
    he gave about 3500 for it and sold it for a bit more.
    it only had the 3 point hitch and no accesories.
    he was wanting to get a belly mower and a blade for the back to drag
    dirt gravel etc.
    he had one too many irons in the fire and ended up selling it:angry:
    it was a neat little tractor and had a lot of power.
    i agree the old tractors are better than the new ones
    in some ways
    thay built them better but the fancy technology in the new ones
    will spoil ya.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've got this old 140 Farmall sitting behind the house. It'll make a fine winter project, just getting it running.

Attached Files: