Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by weekendredneck69, Dec 15, 2008.

1. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This year is only the second year i've attepted to trap... JW if anyone has any special tips or tricks they would like to share w a beginner? All info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Im after coons and beaver mostly... on a few small rivers..

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mathew,I'm sure some of the others will be along to help as well. I dont have ant tips for beaver as I have trapped them,but only by chance.
    Coons,I would let your feet do the walking. Look for thier little footprints,Set near sign . I allways liked a sweet type lure for coon as we dont have opossums here,But we have our share of skunks. If you are setting in water try to put guide sticks to funnel the coon into the trap and prevent them from working it from behind. Are you using drowning sets?

3. weekendredneck69

State:
    Kansas
    No, im mainly just usin conibear 220s... and a few 1.5" leg holds

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cubby sets will do well with the cinnibears on the coons,Make them deep enough that they cant reach in an swipe the bait,or get it from the sides. The foothols ,I would make drowning sets in water with,I never targeted coon on land,They are like buzzsaws if they can get a hold of limbs an stuff,They 'll usually pull out. The main thing is make em HAVE to cross over the trap to get to what they want,6" or so out in front should work. Fish works well for bait in water sets as they are allways hunting along creekbanks. in my opinion the 220s are a little on the small side for beaver.

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Join trapperman.com and traps for kids.com.
    Lots of good info in both places.
    Check out your public library for trapping books.
    Fur Fish & Game is a good magazine to buy.--just don't believe the fur prices-lol.
    My father in law did pretty well trapping. His method---set the trap where you see tracks.
    Join your states trapping organization.
    good luck
    have a good one
    just

6. weekendredneck69

State:
    Kansas
    ok, well so far this week i havent had any luck at catchin anythin... im usin 220 conibears in bucket sets w sardines, and catfood as bait...im goin to go check them in the morning again and im goin to put some canned tuna in em and pour the juices around the bucket to maybe try and get some scent up in the air.....i put some rickards coon attractant up on the branches around the buckets hopin to use it as like a call lure?

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm not familiar with kansas trapping but I know with the weather we are having here in Iowa the coon are holed up.
    Pretty hard catching a sleeping coon no matter how much bait you use at YOUR set.
    Personally I'd switch to mink and rats. 1 1/2 footholds or 110 conibears work for both critters.
    Go for fox and yotes with the snares.
    Either way you need to set on sign.
    the best 2ya
    just

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Mathew .... When the weather gets real nasty out the coon will hole up to some extent .... but I have seen them come out of their dens (holes up under roots or trees) and forage withing a few yards of these dens. So try and find spots to set that are near where you think they are or could be denning. Look for scat in the general area and tracks. Put out multiple sets in these areas and use a strong smelling lure/bait. You might get some results....... Garry-