Any tips one what rod I should buy for an abu 5000 ambassadur series?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rajun_Cajun, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i have really been looking for a new rod for myself alot lately on catfish connection and at cabelas and some other places locally and i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on what i should get:D

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    It's what ever feels good to you that counts. I myself like Ugly Sticks, but somebody else will like something else.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Everyone's opinion is going to be different in this respect. I simply love the Abu reels. Got a bunch of them. The 5000 (and any other Abu which don't have a clicker or line out alarm) is regulated to bass and crappie fishing. I prefer the 6000, 6500 and 7000 for my catfishing. I have the 7000's on 15' surf rods, the 6500 are on 14' surf rods and the 6000 are on 6' to 8' boat rods. I have some older 5000D and other models with clickers on my 10' poles. My opinion, and it is just my opinion, is that Academy has the better rods which suit my needs. Actually the rods are pretty much the same as Bass Pro and Calabea's, but the price is more Wal-mart. I like Wal-mart for my smaller poles. I try to only buy white poles because they are more visible for night fishing, but 2 of my 15' surf rods are black. You can buy a hundred dollar rod, but it probably is not going to catch any more than the $20.00 Wal-mart special.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I gotta agree, check them out and compare, and depends on the use, and your personal preference. If you don't know for sure, there is no point in spending a lot of money, check with people ya know, and compare some rigs, then get what you are comfortable with. Get one that has the feel and action you like at the price ya can afford. I got cheap rods, and they will cast just as well as the expensive ones i think, they don't have the same action, but they are more durable than the expensive ones. I like em. I think I'll catch just as many fish with them as the expensive ones. The fish don't know what kinda rod is attached to the bait.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've agree with AwShucks on this one, I also regulated my 5000 and 5600 to bass fishing aint caught no crappie on them thou, because they have no clickers, thats why I use my 6000 and 6500C3 for catfishing.

6. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 5600 C4 on a 7' Medium Glowstick that I use with circle hooks only. I prefer a clicker, but since I essentially quit bass fishing, I need to use my 5000s somewhere. This rod is primarily for stream and pond channels, but can handle larger fish if neccessary.

7. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Cory, I guess my first question to you would be "What kind of a budget are you working with?" I think we need a starting point to help you out a little more.

J

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    It's hard to go wrong with a Bass Pro Shops brand Catt Maxx or a Berkley Glow stick rod.

The price is right...ranging from $40-$60...and both are made from ultra tough E-Glass....that will haul in a 40 lb catfish just as easy as it will a 4 lb'er. (I have 2 of one...three of the other)

The white Ugly Stik Catfish is an excellent choice as well...I have two...and the price is right around $40-$50 after tax...depending upon where you go to get it.

The problem with a $20 Wally World special is the serious lack of quality if you tie into a big cat when you only really envisioned yourself catching little ones.

IMO...a guy oughta prepare for the worst if you're catfishing...even if it don't happen....you're ready if it does.

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    any medium/heavy ugly stick rod should do the trick