Any tips on Prairie Creek Reservoir?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Jun 22, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    So me and a buddy are determined to catch some cats out here but so far all we have to show for our efforts are about 3-4 under 2 lb channel cats. If you know of a bait or good spot on the reservoir please let me know.

Also if you know any good places around Muncie let me know that as well. I used to fish the mississinewa river around Eaton but when i last went out there i didnt do so hot.

Thanks,
    Fud

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. I've yet to try out Prairie Creek Reservoir yet, but I plan on trying it this fall. I go to school up in Muncie and will be moving into a house this upcoming semester so I'll finally be able to have my fishing gear with me at school. Most of what I've read hasn't been to positive for the catfishing in Prairie Creek...I hear they've had bad fisheries management there over the years. But I have heard good things about the panfishing and walleye fishing. I also saw that about a decade ago they stocked northern pike in there...not sure how they're doing in there though. As for other places around Muncie, the only place I can really think of is White River...still haven't fished the river up around there yet, but it looks promising.

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    First of all welcome to the BOC Chris!!! I live in Muncie and have fished Prairie Creek res. My best advise I can give you is " DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME " if you are into pleasure boating or sailing you can have a real good time but as far as catfishing forget about it you would have better luck in a mud puddle. My brother-in-law and I travel a little ways up north to Huntington or Salamonie to fish as there is no really good fishin' holes around muncie to fish, anyways, good luck and good fishin.

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I couldn't say it any better myself. I have been here in Muncie for over a year. You got to drive at least an hour North, South, East or West of this S@#T Hole to find anything worth wetting a line.

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well, where do I start??????????????? First I would save the $10.00 daily boat launch fee or the $5.00 daily bank permit fee. Yes, that is right. Those are daily fees that were set just this year. For $20.00 you can get a yearly boat pass (sticker for boat) that will give you boat launching access to any state owned lake, reservior or river that has a boat ramp. Second state waterways dont charge you a bank permit, maybe a fee to get in a park. Those fees were set by the city of Muncie, say thanks to the new mayor for that one. Also there is no longer security patrols out there since the mayor cut that as well, city cant afford it. Next the camping privelages are on the almost extinct list as they want to do away with the camping. Stocking programs are you serious? They tried to make it a high dollar housing project out there but was voted down and they main guy that was pushing it removed himself from the committee. I was also informed that you cannot bank fish there after dark.

I know a little off topic but you must know what is going on there to trully enjoy that water pit you so desperatley want to fish. Around munice there are a few small rivers like you mentioned but most of those rivers dont have good bank fishing as the rivers run through private property. Sumitt lake would be your best bet for a decent place to fish, also westwood in newcastle. Personally the mid part of this state does not have many good bodies of water to fish. We generally go a few hours up north and several hours down south in the state to get decent places. I have caught some trophy size fish in Indiana for Indiana standards but not around here. Save your money invest in a longer distance trip and you will have a much better time. Every once in a while I hear of someone catching some cats there and some are real good ones but not often. Most true die hard cat fisherman DO NOT FISH PRARIE CREEK RESERVIOR. Im not trying bust your chops but this is information that every licensed fisherman should know before spending their money and wasting their time on that mud hole.:angry:

Here is another bad thing out there!!!!!!!!!! My neighbor recently paid for a boat dock for the remainder of the season. We live in the county and the reservior is in the county but leased by the city of Muncie. For what ever reason that I cant figure out people that live in the county have to pay $50.00 more for a boat dock than someone that lives in the city.

6. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Well thanks for all the replies im sorta SOL for this year then. I have already bought an annual bank permit and my fishing buddy has a pontoon on the res but no trailer to take it anywhere else.

I have been out fishing out there about 2-3+ nights a week and just found out i have been using the wrong bait.

Was using night crawlers and a chicken liver.

Come to find out i guess people have been catching some cats out there on soft craws and chubs.

So i guess i will just have to make the best of it and if i find any good spots or get anything decent i will let yall know.

Hopefully i can get a boat sometime soonish and i will make the hour long trip to a better body of water.

Thanks,
    Fud

p.s. You can bank fish after dark and there still is security out there at least there was as of today he was driving around the campground shining his spotlight. And ya i agree the new fees are just further keeping people from enjoying the outdoors and a greedy move.

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey Chris! Do you live in Muncie?

8. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Ya bud i do live in Muncie and if anyone needs a fishing buddy i can fish allot even pull a boat if ya need lol. Im 31 and feel like i've been retired for 6 years. PM me

9. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    Hey Guys as i have talked about prairie creek befor.... i grow up about 11 mins right up the ramp round and have fished it for years....back in the day many moons ago you was able to go out and catch a nice mess of fish and enjoy it ... but alot has changed since then........ well my family still live up there and there a few places you can fish and catch fish and the res aint 1 of them if you are in muncie on 12th st.. heading out of town you will cross the white river there is some good fishing to the south of the briage...have caught soem nice channels and some 10 to 15lbs blues in there.........

And chris if you want to drive soem where to fish and have a good time catching them i have moved down by brookville lake i am 6 mils from qakertown and i will brookville is one of the best catfishing lakes there is.... get with me if you ever want to come down and go its about 45 mins to an hour the way i take

10. duff

duff Guest

Used to fish it alot while going to BSU. Lots of crappie, white bass, largemouth, walleye, and a few cats.

I helped put together a boat shocker for a catfish survey on the Wabash my last year there and took it to Prarie Creek to test it out. We got some decent channels around 10 pounds in the cove between the bridges. I had always heard it refered to as carp cove or catfish cove. I cant remember. When it is about your only option it works. Found lots of mushrooms back there too!

I really like the river for small mouth. Try the areas between Muncie and Anderson there are some great holes.

Good luck.

11. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Be cautious of the white river around the anderson area. There was a huge fish kill several years back and I am not sure if the fishing has bounced back. I havent heard of fishing reports from that area. Other than that Justin had the right Idea. GO NORTH OR SOUTH TO FISH.:wink:

12. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Bigcatfish64 Hey i cant send you a PM yet but i think you sent me one asking if i lived in Muncie i replied in this thread but not sure ya seen it. So ya i do, any reason ya ask? Want to hook up and fish?

Fud

13. duff

duff Guest

The fish kill in Anderson was 9 years ago. It has more then rebounded in the areas I have fished. I spent several days cleaning up the mess when I worked for the state. There were some trophies that went belly up. With the stocking program that was instituted and the natural growth of 9 years the fish are back.

Nothing to be afraid of.

14. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Welcoome to the board duff. Glad you made it.

15. duff

duff Guest

Thanks. This looks like a cool board with lots of great info. Hope we can add a few pics after your trip down here.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome duff!

17. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Chris, me anf Bigcatfish64 fish all the time. We have a boat and room for a third on ocassions. What is your work schedule like?

18. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Haha well i am going out to prairie creek tonight just to bank fish a little and either or both are welcome to join me. My work schedule is like this i am "self employed" with the ability to go fishing mon-thurs 6-7pm through 3-4am and Fri 12am through 3-4am and Sat and Sun just about any time. If ya decide to come out to the res just look for the black Hummer H3 that would be me.

Chris

19. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Well tonight was my best night so far at Prairie Creek. I caught 3 Channel Cats and 1 Blue. Had a raccoon eat 1 and all but the head of another leaving me with 1 channel and the blue. I had 1 get off the hook and 1 break right at the bank (was a bad knot,My fault). Heres what i learned so far every catfish i caught was on a soft craw!

Fud

Attached Files:

20. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    Chris once you get a boat i can tell you some good place to fishon a boat out in the middle of the res.....