Any tips on making a blue catfish taste better?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Larry Beever, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I catch a lot of blue cats where I fish. But
    I've noticed for some time that they seem to be a rather gamey tasting fish.They also seem to
    have a rather tough flesh. I'm already aware that cutting off the pink meat can help. But,
    I still find the meat to taste rather fishey.
    Do you guys know of any way to deal with this?
    I'd really apreciate your advice!

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Larry,
    Ive never noticed that blues are a gamey tasting fish. What I do is soak them in heavy salt water for 3 or 4 days before I either freeze them or cook them. Maybe this method takes that taste away, I dont know because I never eat them right after cleaning.

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    This is what I do - Cut the gills with a pair of scissors when you catch the fish and throw them on ice, this will bleed them out extremely well. Cut the fillets into bite size chunks and soak them in ice cold salt water for a couple of days in your fridge (changing the water often). Freeze them however you like. When you cook them smaller chunks be very carefull not to overcook them cause if you do they will get rubbery (tough) very fast. Seems to work very well for me. I have converted a lot of fish eatin' haters to lovers this way. Hope it helps some!

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually just keep the ones under 5 lbs and have never noticed anything about the taste being off.

5. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I thought blue cats were the best. The question is how are you cooking them and what size fish? I like them grilled or baked! When I cook them for lunch I use the toaster oven; first I cover the pan with aluminum foil, place fillets, spray with garlic flavored butter, sprinkle with sarandipty seasoning and lemon pepper, and sometimes cover with some thin sliced tomato or lemon and/or onion. My timer goes to 15 minutes, so I set the timer 15 minutes on 350 degrees bake. small fillets take at least 15 min. bigger ones (a 2 lb cat or less) take about 30 min. I check them for flakeness. Bigger cats I would chunk up and deep fry. I also like them baked with a potato & mayo topping; use 4 half pound fillets, coat with 2 table spoons of mayo (we use mircle whip) and 2 cups of frozen hash browns (thawed) and bake until hash browns are golden brown.

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Blue cats taste great!! You just have to be sure and trim all of the red meat off the fillets. The fillets can be soaked in salt water over night and everything should be good to eat. I have butchered blues up to 25#'s with no bad taste, just trim the red meat off.

catman geo

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    What I do is soak them in heavy salt water for 1 to 2 days before I freeze them i freeze them in water if im cooking them next day i soak in milk over night

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I like to ice my blues down real good when I catch them. I let them stay on ice for a minimum of 24 hours before cleaning them. This way you don't have the mess of bleeding them and all the blood goes into the internal organs as they die. Fillet them and as the others have said, make sure you remove ALL the red meat and ALL the fat. Wash them good and wash them some more. Cook them well but not too well. I cook hundreds of pounds of blues every year and have heard no complaints.

9. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i agree with all the good rinsing and cleanin of the fillets, buti don't even caught off any red meat, i enjoy the tast of fish hince, the name of fish, i don't understand if you don't like the fishy taste of the fish, then you probably just don't like fish, that's the taste i enjoy from a fish

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I definately like fish. I also eat several
    varieties of fish. But I've noticed that blue
    cats have a strong fishey/gamey taste. Maybe
    it's the water that I'm fishing. However the
    channels there taste fine.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I love a good Blackened catfish fillet. Heres a good recipe for Blackeneing seasoning. Add the ingredients into a bowl and toss until well mixed.

1 tb Paprika
    2 1/2 ts kosher salt
    1 ts onion powder
    1 ts granulated garlic
    3/4 ts Black Pepper
    1 ts Ground Red Pepper
    3/4 ts white pepper
    1/2 ts Dried Thyme leaves
    1/2 ts Oregano
    1 small dash of Cayenne

Take your catfish Fillets and spoon over some melted butter then sprinkle the Blackening seasoning on both sides generously so that the fillet is lightly dredged with the dry mix.

Heat a skillet over a medium flame and add a tbs of butter. When the butter starts to brown places the fillet in the skillet. Get a good crisp sear and flip and repeat the process on the other side. About 2 minutes per side. Serve piping hot!

I love one of these fillets served alongside some Yellow or Wild Rice, it's also great on Alfredo Pastas OR in a Baguette bread with Tartar sauce, lettuce & tomato or Cole Slaw.

Hungry Yet?

12. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    take the fillets wash them real well and cut all the red meat off them put um in a big bowl put about 3 table spoons of mustard in the bowl with about a cup of apple cidar vinagar let soak for 2-3 hours befor cooking when u get ready to cook them pour the water out wash them off again an theres no fish taste or gamey taste left

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Prepping yer fish right is everything-i field dress then befor cooking soak in mild salt water & cut off any discolored meat of any kind during a final washing befer cooking......make sure that grease is hot and stays hot......I find channels are the gameiest ....blues are bout my faverote...or equel with flatties:roll_eyes:

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    remove the blood. Cut the gills, cut the tail, leave on ice, soak in salt water. It is all about removing the blood from the fish. Best advice, keep the small ones, under 5#'s and follow a method for removing the blood from the meat and enjoy. Good luck to ya.

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the only way i can tell you to make a blue aste better is to trade it for a fathead!!:smile2: damn i love the taste of the flatheads!!! :wink:

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There is one sure fire way to make Blues over 10lbs taste better!!!
    1. Catch the fish and land it.
    2.When you have gotten a weight and a pic, very gentley lower the fish back into the water and let go of it to rinse it off.
    3. If it jumps back into the boat it is time to eat, LOL!!!

17. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    butter flavored crisco instead of vegetable oil when deep frying adds alot to the flavor.

18. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Doesn't removing the fishy taste defeat the purpose? I mean,it's fish. If it weren't fishy tasting,we would call it something else.

19. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    We have been useing Zatarains blackened seasoning. Just follow the directions and it is amazing. It smokes alot so be aware of that ,but the taste is great.:wink:

20. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Soak the bluecat fillets in icey cold salt water...keep the water. It is important. Soak for several days...then fry the blue cat using your favorite breading or batter. Just before you take your first bite of blue....drink 8 full ounces of that salt water you were soaking the catfish in. This will make it taste better :)