Any Tips On Inboard or I/O Engine Inspection

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jdw123, May 25, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    ive been thinking about buying a boat with a I/O engine or and inboard engine and i want to know what to look for or inspect on the engine itself to make sure its a good engine. i know to check the oil, but what do i need to look for on the outdrive? what is considered low hours for these types of engines?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You realize your lack of expertise.Great!

Look for everything bad that you know how to look for.When you narrow down your prospects,is the time for my advice.You search around for the best Marine Surveyor or marine mechanic AND boat repairman that you can find.Hire them if at all possible to inspect your find.This is the best chance out of blind luck to come out for the best.

There is no sure way.There are many ways to cover many blemishes and problems.I would have this or these folk Try it out for you before buying anything.Stay away from anyone who will not allow this.Stay away from a sellers recommendation for a inspector.Now it is great to ask for a copy of any survey that has EVER been made on the boat.If it is recent,YOUR surveyor will wish it,and may know the surveyor and trust him.You could get away with a much smaller fee if you wish to trust this way.Marine Surveyors can be found on line.Luck.

I kove you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin I've seen more people burned on boats than cars. If it's any thing more than a few thousand I'd highly recommend what they call a "survey". Most any good marina can recommend a marine surveyor (not the marina where you are buying a boat). It's the boat equal of a "home inspection". When you're talking I/O or inboards you're usually talking more money. After Katrina there are thousands of salvage boats out there. I've bought a few. The bad news is newer hull designs can trap water in between the sandwich layers. If you don't know the history of a boat it can be big trouble. A good engine and drive is just part of it. Heat exchangers, gimbal, bellows, etc etc. I've seen transoms so rotten you could put a screwdriver threw them by hand. With a fresh coat of paint on it. Since I/O and inboards penetrate the boat a major problem can cause way more than a tow back in. Mid to larger boat buyers should visit this site: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/ it for larger boats but some of it applies to any I/O inboard.

As far as just the engine and drive pay a local boat mechanic to take a look. Buyer beware!

4. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    i found a 1988 bayliner that the guy wants $1000 OBO. he said it runs great and would let me listen to it run. but when i asked him how many hours it has he told me that there was no hour gauge on it. never heard of a boat with an i/o with no hour gauge?

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used to have a 197? starcraft I/O and it didn't have a hour meter on it. we had to put our own on it.
    gary

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Avoid it like the plague!!!