Any tips on drift fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Jun 20, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    hey guys I'm not a big drift fisherman but need to find a new pattern.I'm fishing small lakes...under 150 acres with only channel cats. Can put out a redneck buffett of baits.... turkey liver,cut shad,live bluegill,live goldfish,nightcrawlers... Not too good with the casting net yet but I can shoot some carp with the bow and I'm really good with a fillet knife.Have rod holders out the wazoo on my jon boat.only have 1 drift sock working on a second one.what rig should I use...how much weight how big of hooks....circle hooks? kahle? or j-hooks. Usually use about a 4/0 mustad j hook for bigger baits 2/0 for mediums and 1 or 1/0 for eater sized kitties.Should I use a bass or river sinker on the bottom with the hook spaced up the line? Or just a slip sinker with the hook on the bottom. I can lower an old flowthru minnow bucket full of chum on a rope below the boat.Or a trail of bluegill/crappie guts in a chum slick behind the boat. I had 10 gallons of fish guts last weekend. Does anybody use balloons or some sort of slip float rig for drifting. I know a lot of you guys fish this way. Any suggestions?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I would reccommend circles or kahles for drifting, sized according to the bait you are using. Drop the line off of the side of the boat and let it hit the bottom and then reel in it 2 or 3 times. Use as small of sinker neccessary to keep the bait down.For suspended cats I use a balloon and tie it at the depth I want to fish. You can also tie the balloon to a swivel and use it in a slip rig. Dragging the chum bucket should work well, I have never tried it.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    This is my kind of fishing. ( free drifting...control drifting)

Everything Kyle said works.

(Free style drifting) For rigging use hooks to your bait size.I do like to use circle hooks most times but if the fish are not agressive you will miss a lot of fish.When they are like this they will pick up the bait but will just swim with it toward the boat never turning their heads & if you pull the rod you will not get the hook set.
    If they are biting light I will use a j hook.

Speed is the most important when drifting.5-10 mph is about right more than this you want a drift sock or buckets to slow your speed..Weight size like Kyle said just want to tick the bottom.You dont want the weight dragging bottom.
    Rigging..i like to use a three way this way you can tie about a 6lb leader to the weight if you hang up you only loose your weight.Plus it helps keeping your bait off the bottom.Also you can use a small float above the hook to keep the bait up.

Control drifting..I like this the best..Use the elec motor and let it slip you backward nose into the wind.Much better control this way to work stucture and creeks/breaks.I awas use circle hooks when fishing this way and lines straight down under the boat.About 1-2 foot off the bottom.Most bites this way they will load the rod up.If they light hit it i will just leave the rod in the holder and grab the line and pull it about a foot or two and then drop it and will they smack it.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Correction 5-10 mph winds not boat speed...Sorry

5. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i like to use a carolina rig with a walking sinker usually an oz. or oz. 1/2. i like to use a two to three foot leader with a float about 2 inches from the kahle hooked with fresh shad. turn the boat sideways with a couple drift sock and go to town. drifting doesn't really pick up until after the fourth of july.