Any tips on Clinton Mississippi ?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by muskyman, Feb 3, 2007.

1. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    My cousin and I are thinking about heading on out to the river at the end of this month for a few days. We wanna target big cats if possible. We strictly do catch & release. I have a boat, but I have never fished the river before. We are located just outside chicago and clinton is the closest for us. Is it worth fishing any other particular areas ? Any advise is appreciated. If anyone wants to pair up with us, we would be game as well.

2. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    David I wonder how much ice will be left on the river then. I live in Davenport and the river is pretty much iced over although not completely. Most of the docks in our area are iced in and its going to take some warmth for things to open up again.

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    I live about 15 minutes away from clinton. i know a lot of folks fish below the dam at clinton as it has decent depths. I could be game to hook up with you. However, i do know that i struggle that time of year for cats on the miss (the miss is my main body of water fished) In the past i have done very little cattin that time of year. If I could learn somethin from ya and share what i know about the area, I am game. I was plannin on goin up there about that time if it warms up atleast to try to load up on shad for my guts for the spring. There are some warm water discharches in the slough just downstream from clinton. ( i forget the name of the slough, but you'll see it on the map.) it is a straight shoot. dave

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i plan on going up there this weekend primarily to try to get a lot of shad guts for the year. if you are still gonna try to fish, beware... i bet that the river will be rising fast with some ice chunks movin on through with this warm weather. i know last weekend the river above was froze across.. it is probly broken up by now and should be on the rise and still very cold.... anyways... if you are still plannin, let me know. dave

5. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    My cousin and I are probably gonna make it a march trip. I will defintely let you know when we plan on going. We can use all the advise we can get. Thanks Dave

6. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i went up to clinton today and be glad you didnt waste a trip.. I just went up there with the wife and kid to shop/eat lunch.. the river was still froze across up there around clinton. wow. i do know that i am gettin real ansy especially after this weekend's weather. ugghhh.