Any tips for keeping shad alive?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by PRITCHETTK, Apr 25, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    They seem like they just get stessed out and die. I have a huge cooler with 2 aerators in it but they still dont last very long. Any tips to keeping them alive would be greatly appreciated.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't catch them until your leaving for the river/lake. They will die almost as fast as splash.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
  4. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Thanks for the tips! Man I can't wait to hook up with a big cat this weekend. I sure hope I can. I just got a new humminbird fish finder so I am going to try to locate some structure of the main river channel in the lake where it is around 40' deep. I will probably be fishing with perch and shad if the shad are available. Wow that bait tank you made is awesome!

5. droptines

droptines New Member

i was having the same problem last year and found i think at walmart stuff called shad keep.it worked great with a five gallon bucket and 1 areator.over nite i only lost about 5 or 6 out of near 30.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    try using salt tablets, and they make some shad saver stuff, i think it is supposed to eliminate the foam that they produce...try that, it helps a little bit...they get that red nose then it isnt long before they are goners...they are big time sissy's

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    The additive you put in the water helped here, but worked a lot better when we added some ice from the cooler too. Maybe helps with the shock? They are tuff to keep any length of time.
    Good luck!
    Don

9. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    like every one said , keeping shad is an art form shad keeper is a must water temp is critical 62-/72 insulate ur shad well , i have 3 inches of alum backed insul. on mine with a 750 gph pump . even in summer will stay at 70 deg. without ice. i put a tray with a piece of cheze cloth under my aireator to cach the scales. shad keeper helps eith the imonia they put off when scarred its like a valum to them . i can keepthem for weeks feed them algie eaters food . good luck my bait well is a salt water kodiack. i bought in huston tex an converted . i have about 175 in it . have a day:)

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Well the salt they use in Shad Saver is not ordinary salt. You can use table salt as it hardens their scales. But Shad Saver has chemicals that break up the ammonia, ammonium, and nitrate that all fish (but especially stressed shad) released. All three are very harmful (this is what they call cycling an aquarium, you are building bacteria that break these down) So I highly recomend shad saver. Another thing is lowering the water temp, especialyl in the summer. If you can get the water around 55 degrees you'd be suprised how long you can keep them. Note of Caution though! Do not add them from warm water directly into 55 degree water. catch your bait and then add ice. Also, a must in a round tank. If you have any edges (like the bottom of a 5 gal bucket) tank styrofoam and cut it our to fit that.

Also, many people kill shad because they try to keep to many. Aqauriumist use the 1 inch=1 gal rule. Meaning you have a 10 gal tank you can put 10 inches of fish in there. To keep bait for a short time this can be multiplied by 3, even 4 inches. So if you are using a 5 gal tank you should only put in 15-20 inches of shad.

Hope this helps!

11. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    I've never had much luck keeping them alive.... I throw them on ice as soon as I catch em'.

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I only use 1 airator on my standard sized cooler but it has a filter on it.
    But, it worked real well last year to keep them alive but you have got to keep that airator going and you must clean the filter often depending on how many you have in there.

I have yet to catch a fish on live shad though...
    I have caught quite a lot on whole shad but they were dead by the time they were taken.
    I do like to keep them alive as long as possible though so that there is a good fresh blood flow when I cut them up.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have a 30 gal round insulated tank. i can keep 7 doz live for the day and night. i use bait saver to remove chlorine from the water. also you want your water the same temp as what they come out of. if it is warm cool it off slowly once you have caught them. they make a chem. called foam off to keep foam off the water. anmo lock to keep anmonia down. get a good pump to keep oxygen in the water. i would prefer one that draws oxygen in with the water bacause a spray will cause foam. i use pure oxygen in mine. then rock salt the rule is 1 lb to 50 gallons of water. this will harden the scales and keep the shad frisky. if they scale real bad when you put them in you dont have enough salt. i wouldnt recommend iodized salt. the scales will get caught in the gills and kill them. it is alot to learn to keep them alive but well worth the trouble when cut bait fishing as fresh is always better.

14. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    one of my buddies is a striper nut. he has a round baittank in the boat and the aerator pump pushing the bubbles of air around the sides which apparently make a barrier to keep them from bumping them and knocking off scales and he has a larger version at home he keeps iced down. he keeps shad for weeks

15. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the fellows are right , if u dont have a big shad bait tank it is hard to keep them / condition them , if u are serious about keeping live shad ,it is an art . ask a guide. find a good commercial shadkeeper. ( i get mine in large containers treats 1200 gal. has everything in it ) works very well . took me a couple yrs to get it down , no one would help me. temp has a lot to do with thier stress factor , i keep them live but only use them live for stryper, i fish them fresh dead for cats most of the time , but conditioned right they will swym for hours on a hook slow trolling for strypers. any thing over a 5-7 degree temp change has to br gradual or they will stress but with good conditions and proper handeling they will live. dont get discourged, just keep trying .

16. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Plenty of aeration. A container with rounded edges(theyll kill themselves raming into corners). Oxygen tabs. Amonia treatment(terramiacin). One teaspon of salt per gallon will harden them if u are keeping them for a long time, or if u cant regulate water temp. U can purchase this salt that turns ur water blue, but to me it has a negative effect on the bite. Table salt works just as well, or better(no dye). This works for any filter feeders. It also works for creek chubs and golden shiners.

17. HANKPMT

HANKPMT New Member

State:
    GA
    Hi Fella's
    Outstanding website you have here with a TON of info! This is my first post,so here it goes.I am a die hard striper fisherman and have tried everything under the sun to keep my bait alive.When I first started,I was in complete denial about buying a "over priced" bait tank.I tried my livewell..bad idea.Tryed homemade tanks with limited success.My wife talked me into buying a bait tank and I have not looked back since. I have 2 Grayline tanks and a 50 ga Creekbank.Have caught gizzard shad one weekend and used them the next.The only chems that I use is Ammolock,for any ammona build up.In the summer,when it is real hot,I do use Shadkeeper and of course Foam off.I also have a 300 ga tank in the garage, where my wife used to park, that I can keep them for weeks. I murdered alot of bait with this project before I finally got it figured out.(I think)
    Maybe my little bit of input will help someone.
    Great site!
    Hank

18. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

My buddy bought a tank that has a filltration system in the water in the tank is always clear we just fished all weekend and none of the shad we had in the tank from last week died. it's a good tank but it costed abuot 500$$ if you can aford it,it's worth the money.:cool2:

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I built a [thread=16308] 20 Gallon Bait tank[/thread] for my boat. I started out with just a battery air deal, but have since added a pump (later in the that thread) .. I've had nothing but great luck with it. I've had shad in it for over 7 hours, a couple of times through the hotest part of the day and a couple of times through the whole nite... When I was thinking of the pump system, I set it up where I could recirc the water when I was moving, then, could pump in fresh and pump out old when anchored. Would be real easy to incorp. a filter system in it if you wanted that too, but having it run in an open system and constantly renewing the water, I dont really need it. I have probably less than $50 in it and so far I havnt used any chemicals in it.

20. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    and invest in one of these:

http://www.bluewaterbaittanks.com/

They are expensive but of all of the different brands of tanks they are the easiest to use.

I have the 50 gallon and can keep 150-200 shad alive easily for up to a week.

You could try to reinvent the wheel and build one but I doubt if it would be as easy and convenient as one of these.