Any tips for blue catfish at night???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am going to go out this weekend at night to give the blues a try! I was going to see if you all would give me some tips as far as where to fish! I have a general Idea but would like some help to pinpoint the Blues! And Also I will be going Saturday night around 7pm and I will probably be out all night, if anyone wants to meet up and go! Paynes landing is where I will put in! I would appreciate the help if anyone wants to help! Thanks

2. burnze2000

burnze2000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i caught 5# blue on a dead perch in a cove by the island marina in about 1 ft water it had been on since the night before i was watching what i thought was a snake or turtle taking it under but the next morning ole blue was on there maybe just luck it was on limb line thats the only one i caught caught several channel on the nodaway but had to drag boat about a mile to get to them

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Try the shallow flats just above wing dams - 6 to 10 ft or water or so in moderate current, just up from where the big scour holes start.

We caught some the other night in about 3 ft of water near the bank and had some major action (but no catch) on a huge live goldfish that was in a foot or so of water - all that thrashing seems to draw in the cats. The poor goldfish came in with most of his scales torn off.

Cut asian carp seems to be the bait of choice these days.

4. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt

How did you guys do this weekend???? I can't find any of the results online.

Ross

5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I fished Friday night , caught three fish, no big ones. I ran some jugs and bank poles below a few of the wing dams in the slack water baited with perch and goldfish and cut bait and only caught one blue, about a five pounder, on cut Asian carp. I fished the tips of wing dams with rod and reels usin live chubs and cut shad. Caught a 2 lb channel and a 7 lb blue that way. Had two more decent bites but missed em both. I had poles cast everywhere, right in close to the dike ; into the slack water inside the hole , straight out the back of the boat and way out into the fast water. All the bites and both fish came in the fast water, on the cut shad. My sonar is on the blitze so I'm not sure how deep I was but I guessed it to be 15 feet or so. But as you can see from the other posts above that you just never know where they will be any given night, or at least I haven't figured it out yet. Just look for em til you find em. And Good Luck to you.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Matt, I would look for the fastest water coming off the wing dyke tips with a good scour hole under it. Find that with a good size shallow flat say 2 to 5 ft. deep next to it then anchor on the wing dyke tip and back off about 20 ft. I would then use the wisdom on Cuz and drop a line or 2 straight down... I've caught several lately in the upper say 12 to 17 ft. part of the scour hole and saw most hanging there on the fishfinder. This scenerio is what I've experienced lately on the lower Mo. Good luck out there... if at all posible I would use live bait.

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt go down from paine landing and set up below the last dike befor it turns into a outside bend. If you know where I am talking about you need to be about a long cast off the bank and set up in 6 to 10 ft of water depth with some current and fancast behind the boat. Another good place is upriver at the head of the island and set up midway between the river banks on the sand bar and try to have one bait flopped over the channel edge in deeper water. Good place to hook a big flat there also. I know of someone that had a 80 plus flathead hooked and lost it beside the boat as he was by himself and no one to help dip the fish. If you need any more info get ahold of me some time. I will Pm ya my cell as we have went to all cell phones at home, Billy

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the fishing sucked sunday...not many fish were caught! we didnt weigh a single fish. 49#s won it and 39#s took second! that was my buddy chris's team! they also had big fish with a 31#er! the fishing should pick up soon!

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    We had a good night last time out, caught 4 blues (5lb,17lb,20lb,30lb). All were caught on live bluegills fishing along a bluff in about 32' of water on the Hiwasee river in Tenn.

10. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Matt we just need to find some spots where we catch fish and then we will know where to fish other times

11. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Get a topo map and learn the water, the blues are where they should be, just gotta find them

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    They don't make topo maps of the Missouri River. It changes constantly.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice job Wolfman. Thats a good night on the river.

14. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    .............Hey I thought I better till u,While u were asleep I hooked that bluecat on your line,so at least u can say that u caught a fish this year.And thats not a marina,it's sin city camp ground.Damm,,quit swillin all that cheap beer and eatin that carp every day.:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

15. Rogue

Rogue New Member

State:
    US Louisiana
    Becareful night fishingon the river expecially afeter a rian it get sscarey