Any tips for a rookie?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by oh_darn, Nov 2, 2007.

1. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I just started fishing for the big ones, i used to just go for the eating size, and pretty much every other type of fish, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Welcome Joe, although you now have 10 posts, your still sort of a newbie. It's easy to give advice on how to catch the big ones.... such as...

1 - use big baits.
    2 - use big hooks
    3 - fish where there are BIG fish, which pretty much means you have to leave Oklahoma. LOL

Best real advice is still big bait and hooks, and fish the structure where the fish will lie waiting for food. Big cats generally don't like to move very far. Find a relatively large creek with a log jam or down trees. Generally there will be a large flathead in residence. Use a perch from 3 to 5 inches in length... you may have to hunker down for a few days, but you'll get your reward. Most city lakes in Oklahoma have a flathead population. Find a lake thats been there for about 50 years and you should find some decent fish.

3. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Ok, thank you. How much does the fishing slow down in the winter?

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It doesn't it just gets better and better, even in Oklahoma lol.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Use a lot of patience!!! :wink: Im still waiting for my big one...and check your gear. Nothing like have a nice fish on and losing due to weak line or a weak knot...

6. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Haha, yeah i know how that feels. thanks for the advice

7. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Listen to these guys. I pretty much started targeting the big ones too. Since I have been on this site I have caught a 10# and a 30# with a few smaller. Not much to some people but has made me happy. I don't think I could have been as capable without the BOC.

8. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    fish,fish,fish,fish,like one quarter after another sooner or later you will hit the big one.