Any thoughts on latest aboutRock river fish kill

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Shawn, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    (Story from SaukValley.com)

Interesting that they think the flatheads were smart enough to try an evade the fish kill by heading downstream. I wonder if there's a connection that the kill seemed to be most impactful where the river was pooled above Dixon and Sterling dams. Sounds like the flowing sections weren't as badly hit.

I like the idea of stocking adult fish, that should bolster the reproduction a lot. Since the river supported a good population before, hopefully there's a boom in reproduction to quickly fill the void caused by the fish kill...

Shawn

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. jeremiah jensen

jeremiah jensen New Member

State:
    IL
    I talked to a guide in the lower section of the river and he still thinks its going to produce fish but then again he is a guide. Also wants 275 a guy to fish so he is a little crazy anyways.

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    seriously..$275 a guy?

That seems out of line with what i've heard. I know one guide who did charge $150 per man, very good guide D.H.

Another guys who knows his cats is T.S., he probably does more trips on the Mississippi, I don't know.

Any initials for this mystery guide... not M.J., is it?

shawn

4. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was at that meeting and unfourtunately the DNR did a lot of circling around the issues. We went from it only takes 8 years to replentish the river to it takes 20 years to grow a flathead to 40inches.The math doesn't add up. The Director has put out a news release that the DNR will stock 100 breeding pairs this spring. I hope this helps. Also Kodiac Sports is heading up a fund to help with restocking . Hope this helped. Bo

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw some video of the meeting, where Sallee said population would come back in 8 years. I don't know Sallee, seems to be a pretty straight shooter though, so I give him a little benefit of the doubt.

Maybe he meant that the overall numbers will be back in 8 years. As far as having the same number of fish over 24", over 30", I don't know. Scientists say "nature abhors a vacum", in other words the void left by the big catfish would be filled more quickly by younger cats than if the old fish were still there. However, I don't know if the bass and other gamefish might be in an advantageous position with the lack of top predators.

I'm thining it would take longer to get the trophy cat population back, but when guys start fishing after the high water this spring when cats have had a chance to move, we'll have a better idea.

Shawn