Any thing going on below Barkley Dam?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lance, Jul 9, 2009.

1. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Caught some small or Eaters there last weekend .

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Will be heading down in the next few weeks so maybe we can hook up then . I live in central ky and visit my wife's parents that live about 10 or 15 miles from the dam.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Will do ! I am trying to get my plan together this week .

4. rmilliman

rmilliman New Member

State:
    KY
    We caught several blue and channel cats off the channel drops in about 28 to 40 feet of water, using night crawlers this weekend.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Earl , I will be fishing with my cousin tonight down around dycusburg . If you pm me your phone # maybe we could fish lake or tailwaters Sat eve .

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Good luck to y'all. I wish I could move up there!!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Go get them guys. Catch a boat load.:wink:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Let us know how it goes .

9. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    fished below Barkley and a friend and I had very good success catching blues. Had a lot of fun but they were all small. The biggest was 3 pounds.
    This was on Tues.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thx for the report I rarely catch 1 much bigger than that . Congrats on the eaters.. !

11. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    My dad and I were out there last Wed and caught a few nice blues. One was 15.5lbs the other was 11.5 and the smallest one we kept was 1.5lbs. We had a good time!

12. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

I would like to try that. I am ok going out on my 14' jon with 6hp johnson BUT am way scared to anchor now. few yrs ago, I not knowing better, anchored from back of boat...dang near sunk in just a very few seconds. Was lucky and had a knife handy. I will never do that again and have yet to have nerve to anchor below Barkley dam from the front of the boat. I got lucky once from being new and simply not knowing better but anckoring in a river is somthing I am now afraid to do unless I become more knowlegable than I am now.

13. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    I don't think I will ever anchor below the dam. maybe on down the river, but not below the dam.

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anchoring there is a no-no ! But... there is a wall that sticks out just past the turbines if you go past that little wall torwards middle you will see some spots on the dam look like coffee cans were used to make theese round peices in dam you can loop a rope around it then come back down along that wall and fish the boils BUT watch the current and water level if you try it other wise don't anchor or tie off . And as always be safe !!!!!!

15. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    I did some bank fishing on the Cumberland a couple miles north of the dam. Couldn't believe how fast the current was there. Nothing but snags.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Break away sinker rigs you say north ? Downstream @ Dycusburg ? Hard to fish there .... been running over 20,000 gpm . That's alot of current probably drawing down the lake .

17. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Was fishing near Luka.

Fished Barkley Lodge marina this morning about 4am. Caught 1 - 2# channel from the bank.

Tried fishing near the Hwy 68 bridge, on the Northeast side. Lot of bass jumping after the shad. Didn't get any cat action.

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thx for the report you might try over at the prison or willow/Demumbers bay . Willow is the first bay you cross going to Demumbers . Halfway across on left there is a culvert pipe that runs to the backwater . Well I say its halfway across But not exactly !:wink:

19. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY

Thanks Lance, I'll give that a try next time.