Any taxidermist here??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BLKCLOUD, Jan 28, 2008.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I think I would like to try my hand mounting a bluegill or crappie..would you mind suggesting a good dvd or just some helpful tips.. thanks!!!!

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can type in taxidermy online and find some or go to WASCO they have all kinds of info and supplies that you would need.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have catalogs from WASCO and VANDYKES both. they are free ,just get on thier websites an order them. I am seriously considering starting a p/t business doing replicas as they hold up better over the years and you cant tell the diff if done well.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    van dykes sell kits for panfish. the kit is $22 and change and will mount 3 panfish. problem is it comes with paint and brush. you need a good airbrush to really make them look good. and it doesnt come with gloss.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My uncle is a taxidermist. I was always fascinated by his work. It truly is an art form to make an animal kinda live on forever.

6. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    I would suggest starting out on a blue gill. Crappie can be tricky. The scales will pop up or off a lot easier then on a blue gill. You can coat the crappie with a heavy coat of borax while you are skinning it and it will help keep the scales on. They can be booger bears though!

Like cats4 said,You will need a good air brush. I have always said...Anyone can mount a fish. But the artistic part is the end result...and that would be painting it.

7. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Heres a bluegill I done awhile back,
    BlueGill.jpg

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats wasco. wildlife artists supplt company.

all will send free cats.

heres a list.

taxidermy.com wasco
    vandykestaxidermy.com vandykes cabelas co.
    mckenzietaxidermy.com mckenzie

mckenzie has products from ben mears , john reinhardt and many more. its 2" thick.

http://www.taxidermy.net/learn/workshops1.html

this link tells alot of companies too.