Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what i should do. I have a pond with several big channel cat in it. I pulled a 21lb channel out of there, with 2 other big fished hooked up and lost. But there is a rediculous amount of bullhead. I can toss out a hand size perch and they will be hitting it non stop. I can see there teeth marks on the back of its tail scraping its scales off and what not. I cant use cut bait or there all over it even faster. I even had a 6-7 inch golden shiner on ..and ended up catching a bullhead the same size as my bait...what the heck. lol Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bullheads can be very hard to get out of a pond. You might want to turn a few 15lbs or bigger flatheads loose in there. They love bullheads. You might also want to make a weekend out of trotlining for the bullheads. I doubt that even with a very aggressive trotlining campaign, that you'd be able to get all of them because depending on the size of the pond, there could be aboslutely hundreds of them in there. A few flatheads might help to keep the population under control. Those bullheads can be a real pest, but they do make great flathead bait. Then, there's always dynamite.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
bullheads can be a pain. if there is a bunch of kids around ya that like to fish take em out there and use smaller hooks and worms or shad guts and slay em. that whould make a kids day to hammer a bunch of bullheads. i can hear the stories now. telln there parents and friends about how they went out and caught a slu of catfish! lol

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You need to put a few traps in there and let your fellow BOC'ers take that great bait off your hands. Nothing better than a bullhead to catch some monster flatheads.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try using the bullhead for bait?

:struggle:Get a large float and hook that bullhead in the tail or through the bottom lip. I think the tail might be good for this idea normally I would try through the lip. Use a good hook maybe a 8 if the bullheads are large 6 inches or so. Dont use any weights let him run about. the more he struggles the better. He must not touch bottom keep him from touching bottom and he will try and draw alot of attention.

Good luck

·
Registered
421 Posts
You mentioned that this was a public pond is there a chance you would divulge the location? I have read that bullheads are great flathead bait. They they will pratically swim into the flats mouth and would love to use some

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with catfishcentral, throw a trap in. I've been cleaning up on bullheads in my perch traps in some farm ponds behind the house. I have yet to land a big flattie on one, but it is only a matter of time. I have a hole on a bend of the Kiamichi that no one fishes and has 15'+ of water. Have caught some smaller flats, but not the big un yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.