Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this terrible problem. It's called INSOMNIA or inability to sleep. Can't get into see a doctor till April 9TH. I'm rarely on,cause when ya don't sleep it starts adversely affecting your health. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.......besides going fishiing I haven't bought my licence yet.This is redicioulous though I can promise ya all that.................Sister Pat:confused2::crazy:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Try again Bro, I don't drink:roll_eyes:

Ive had that problem for the past five years. I attribute it to las vegas the 24 hour town. No, I dont go clubbing and all that stuff. My job has me working at all different hours, so now I sleep about 2 to 4 hours a night on a good night. I guess I just got use to it. In the summer when its 120 degrees I sleep maybe 1-2 hours a night. I toss and turn the rest.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Sorry I got on a rant, lack of sleep. You might try MELATONIN. Its a dietary supplement you can buy in the vitamin isle. Its a natural hormone that is produced by your body. Basically you take 3 mg. 30 minutes before bed. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry I got on a rant, lack of sleep. You might try MELATONIN. Its a dietary supplement you can buy in the vitamin isle. Its a natural hormone that is produced by your body. Basically you take 3 mg. 30 minutes before bed. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not.
I have had good results using melatonin. But if you are takin other meds make sure to talk to your doc first. I was on other's and this messed with them. :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey man I have had the same prob for many years!!! Heres what you do, Go to Walmart or GNC and get some melitonan it is a all natrual sleep aid. I whent to the Doc a few years ago and had sleep test done. They put me on Lunesta and it work wonders but my Co pay was $60 for 30 days. The Melitonan is the base of Lunesta and it work great I take four 3mg pills about an hour before I go to bed and I get a solid 8hrs sleep!!!! Good luck man I have been in your shoes!!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have had good results using melatonin. But if you are takin other meds make sure to talk to your doc first. I was on other's and this messed with them. :wink:
Natasha, thats one thing I dont do is meds, If it aint natural it aint going in this body. I aint seen a doc in 29 years except for stiches and I would have sewn myself but couldnt reach the spot. :wink:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
most sleep problems can be related to stress, mussle tention,physical or a bad matress. I have not had a full nights sleep for years, kind of use to it now, but try a simple soulution, warm milk with honey, don't laugh it works. but that is a temp soulution you need to find out what the real problem is
and get it taken care of, i have a physical problem i stop breathing when i sleep so now i have a over the counter cure my dr wants me to try before i get a machine it is nose strips, they Have been working good. Just make sure you clean your bridge of your nose well before you use or they don't stick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
most sleep problems can be related to stress, mussle tention,physical or a bad matress. I have not had a full nights sleep for years, kind of use to it now, but try a simple soulution, warm milk with honey, don't laugh it works. but that is a temp soulution you need to find out what the real problem is
and get it taken care of, i have a physical problem i stop breathing when i sleep so now i have a over the counter cure my dr wants me to try before i get a machine it is nose strips, they Have been working good. Just make sure you clean your bridge of your nose well before you use or they don't stick.
I have tried them......but it is hard to find any that fit. My nose is itty bitty.:eek:oooh:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
a BFH works well to. (if you dont know what a BFH is then let me explain: Big Freaking Hammer). lol. no i have had problems sleeping in the past. i know what you are going through. mine was for diffrent reasons though. there are home remedies that work well though. one that worked for me was 2 aspirin and a cup of hot chocolate. i know, Mr Big Bad Marine drinking hot chocolate, but the chemicals in the chocolate actually help you relax, and the aspirin helps to relax your muscles and helps you sleep. give it a try, might be surprised.

·
Registered
345 Posts
there are all sorts of pills and over the counter meds you can take, but most of them leave you groggy or still tired the next morning..I used to have real bad sleep problems, I believe the best natural remedy is lots of EXERCISE. Just don't do it right before bedtime. Good luck!

Kyle

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
I have the same problem, stress, snore, dream , talk in sleep, and pain. I get bout 2 hours at a time and I dont like or take drugs for it. exercise and plenty of it helps me sleep better and keeps the wore out body moving. If it hurts, I bite on a stick

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
This is what I was going to say, I agree ozz, I use the NATROL brand 3 mg actually usually 1/2 a tablet works in a purple bottle from the vitamin isle (around $4) , Pat good luck, Unfortunately I know what you are saying all to well....

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
My wife has fought it for 12-14 years. She has a sleep apnea machine, and tried everything know to the world of medicine.

Just recently we discovered, in our local pharmacy a product called NutraMist. It is a natural sleep inducer with Valerian and Melatonin.

It is a sugar free, alcohol free non aerosol spray.

I am not a Doctor, but surprisingly enough my wife absolutely swears by it. It is only like $7.99 for a 180 spray bottle.

Actually my two kids ask for it every once in a while.

Good Luck,

Shawn

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi their sister Pat. I see you are sporting a new B.O.C. hat in your avatar picture, I just got mine today and wore it out to dinner this evening, I had to show it off. Hey, On your not sleeping ,what works for me, I just take a couple of Tylenol PMs, and I can sleep like a babby. but I have noticed the older I get the less sleep I need. I usually just get from four to five Hours a night.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and to all who responded to my post you each I hold in very high regard and therefore you each get a hugs and cheek kisses. You're just too wonderful for me to adequately explain how I feel about you all. Thanks a million for posting your thoughts and Ideas. They are deeply appreciated~~~Sister Pat:big_smile::wink:

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I guess exercise works good, or get a book and comfortable chair. That usually puts me to sleep. Actually, when I have trouble, I think about something I read many years ago. Just lay there quietly with your eyes closed and try to sleep. Don't toss and turn and you can get 90 % of the effect of real sleep. 90% is better than nothin. I usually fall asleep. Sometimes I lay there and plan the next day schedule, that usually puts me to sleep real fast.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.