Any suggestions on ways to rig a bass boat for Cat fishing.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Aftercats, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Looking for the best way to rig my bass boat for cats, ie... rod holders, bait keepers, anything that will help fishing for cats.:confused:

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have a bassboat and I use it for all types of fish. I mounted some rod holders on it. if you have two live wells like i do you can use one for live bait. My lives wells have the auto areators so if yours dont id put one in. I also have downriggers onboard too for trolling for trout and salmon stirpers. Also have a bimini top for it I dont take it unless I am going to be sitting in the sun fishing for cats or doing a bit of trolling for me its more of a hassle to use. as for using clams or chicken livers i will store that either in a ice chest or sometimes I use a livewell. Not really a lot needs to be done for fishing for cats out of a bassboat. at least for me. if you want pics let me know and I can go remove the cover and take pics.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
  4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a 20 ft Hydrasports (it's for sale in the classifieds). To keep my shad alive I bought one of those fancy bilge pump aerators. It pumps water and air giving your baitwell current and air at the same time. I didn't want to drill holes in the gel coat so I took 2 2x4s drilled a hole big enough to snugly fit over the pedestals and then drilled holes in the rest of the 2x4 and put in my metal bank rod holders. to protect the boat and to make the whole contraption more sturdy I cut up a noodle for protection and used some electrical wire and tied them off to the cleats.

That said, I am getting rid of the bass boat and going back to a big ol pontoon where I can stretch out, sleep, fix breakfast, tube, bring the whole family etc...

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    All I can add is maybe replace the seats with more comfortable ones since you will be patiently waiting on a strike. Also might want to add a good anchoring system.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    another thing to is you can make a setup to hold your poles and set that in the seat holes in the aft and bow decks too. as for the seats i will admit some seats aint very comfortable but i am happy with the ones on my tracker so far and my ranger

7. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Thanks for all the ideas, I really do appricate all your input! I will diffently look to the seats as my back is not as good as it once was. HA Please send me any pictures or other ideas that you have. I am all ears!