Any suggestions on rechargeable spotlights

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Oct 20, 2008.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    I have googled until my fingers are sore, So I figured why not ask people who have actually used these spotlights.

Any suggestions on a rechargeable spotlight that has a long charge life, I'm looking for those with millions of candle light.

Like I said I have done a lot of research and everyone says theirs is the best.. What have you guys and gals found to be among the best

Thanks
    Ron

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ron,

I have not had to good of luck with them, But I just saw an led rechargeable at Academy that look pretty interesting you might ck it out

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i bought a black and decker from wally world for 30 bucks its ok 1 hour of use before recharge

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dont bother.Get one that plugs in or can be hooked directly to your battery.You can count on it going out just when you need it most.Try navigating for a couple of hours by spotlight and you will see what I mean.:big_smile:

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    your about rite

6. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Thanks for your replies, I'm not sure if it matters but I will not be using this on a boat, I'm just a shore fisherman. That does give me some limitations, I can't hook it to my car ( too far away from shore..lol )

I have a Colman lamp with battery powered bulbs and that works good for where I am sitting but I want something that I can see what is going on around me at night. I've had a few strange things happen and I want to be able to see what is going on around me.

I could get a good flashlight but I really want a bigger beam.

with the new info do you have any other suggestions?????

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Maybe you could use a light like the coon hunters use. They make some gel cell batteries nowadays that last a good long time, and they throw a pretty good beam. You can wear them on a belt. Just an idea.
    Bill in SC

8. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Never heard of one of them do you have a link to an example?

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Most rechargeable spotlights are geared toward 60-75 minute runtimes it seems, probably due to battery cost and weight. There are some exceptions, such as LED spotlights that have poor beam quality and brightness, and some of the compact HID lights, which are mostly sold as bicycle headlights and start at about $300.

My advice is to just get a cheap spotlight and use it to supplement a good flashlight when you need the extra brightness. Otherwise you will have to spend a lot of money, make a big compromise on brightness, or lug something around that weighs close to a small car battery.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    What I used when coon hunting was a wheat light. 4 volt wet cell had a 110
    charger . Would last at least 8 hrs. what miners use. If what you want is a
    spot light to use every once in a while to check around you a rechargeable
    spot might be ok . But for continuous use they want last long.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  12. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I have had several differant kinds of rechargable spot lights and the problem I always have is that the chargers either quit or the batteries stop taking a charge after a short time. I still use them but now I just get the cheapest ones I can find and throw them away when they quit.
    You can get a new light for the price of a rechargable battery.

13. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Isnt that the truth. You get almost to where youre going and then its break out he maglight and hope I dont rip the prop off on a stump I didnt see.:smile2:

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ron, I take my trusty DeWalt 18v flexible floodlight out on the boat (amongst other places) with me quite often. The battery lasts for longer than what these spotlights you’re lookin at plus you simply switch the battery when needed. These lights would be real handy for bank fishing also because they’ll stand alone and the flexible neck allows you to adjust/position the beam any way you like. I got mine in a DeWalt kit of six tools and it really surprised me at how bright, handy, and useful this light is.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/DeWalt-DW919-18-0V-Flexible-Floodlight-%28Unit-Only%29/74173/Cat/778?gclid=CJG6vdL_t5YCFQMQswod4DmnLw

Amazon has the best prices:

http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW919-18-Volt-Flexible-Floodlight/dp/B0000222ZP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1224584743&sr=1-8

And welcome to the BOC.

15. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Thanks,

I got a Brinkmann QBean at Wal-Mart, it came ith 2 batteries a a/c and car charger extra bulb and even color lenses... $39.95 so if it dies I can just toss it away.. It is exactly what I was looking for, something I can grab and spot things that I want to see for a minute here and there.

I'm tired of being in the dead dark and seeing things coming towards me and not knowing what they are............lol

Thanks again

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I bought one of them 4pc;Lithium-Ion V28 volt rechargeable tool sets from Milwaukee, ( One Heck of a set of too I might add..:wink: )which came with a work light,I cannot tell you the candle watt power it has, but it will light up a pond for a night, :wink:

17. CAPTIN BILL

CAPTIN BILL New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I use a road pro,10 million candle power in my boat with a plug for the lighter,as a back up and charging; it last for about 1 hour on high beam and around 70 minutes on low beam,i think you can still get them at bass pro shops; mine was around $49.95 but i saw them for $39.95 at bass pro shops new and up-dated web site.....P.S. don't use these around salt water,I have ruined 2 before this one...and Its for freshwater use only......