Any suggestions on mounting a GPS antenna?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catmankev, Mar 5, 2006.

1. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Just bought a Sonar/GPS unit and need help with mounting location of the antenna on my jon boat w/side console. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Check out BassPro. They have several styles of mounts.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have mine mounted on the right back where the brace covers the side and back. I know a few that have theres mounted on the console.
    Also theres a bracket that allows you to mount it with the GPS, Bolts to the unit mount, And comes out behind it and bolts there.
    When I mounted mine I started to mount it on a stem to get up it some. but it will hit all the sat's about as fast as you turn it on.
    Pete

4. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I have mine mounted on the console. My concern with mounting it anywhere else was that in order to mount it where it would have a good unobstructed view of the sky it would also be exposed to damage. Most of the "antenna modules" also contain the GPS processor and they ain't cheap to repair or replace (in the $200 range).

5. kpj5br

kpj5br New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ditto ShilohRed for me, starboard astern.

The one thing you want to watch for is any interference (from any other radio signals). That is why most mfg's recommend mounting away from the console (other electronics up there can cause interference), your marine radio antenna if you have one, or your AM/FM radio antenna.

6. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I dont have one but I would imagine put it somewhere as high as you can.Since you have a jon boat,just think where you wont be fishing most of the time in the boat.If you just fish in the front put in the rear or vice versa.Hope this helps.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    catmankev these gps really dont work when you are anchored. you have to be moving to get a correct reading. what i do when im flathead fishing is use the gps to get me to the spot, then take a bouy and drop it on my structure. then back away and drop my anchor within casting distance. i have a vhf radio also but i dont use it much. you can always turn the radio off when locating a hole. these antennas are costly so i would put it where nothing would be hitting or someone stepping on it. i like it beside my console or in the middle of the boat (lenght ways). mine is a lowrance x15mt. hope this helps

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried another location but upfront seem to be best for being out of the way.

9. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Thanks for your response guys, all further responses are welcome!