Any suggestions on a new bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by C Hill, Aug 19, 2007.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    alrite, well im lookin to buy a new bow. I dont wanna spend to much more then $500 on everything. im only 13 so i need something with about a 27" drawlength and the draw weight arond 50-60. i can draw back 75 but after 10 shots my arms give out:sad2:. any suggestions?

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    here is a thought... the fred bear element package from bass pro, the lowest draw length is 28 inches, but that can be corrected to your 27 with a shorter release... the element package from bass pro will run u $430 and its ready to shoot, comes with 3-pin fiberoptic sight, 1-piece 6 arrow camo quiver, Whisker Biscuit QS arrowrest, stabilizer with wrist strap, wheel peep and string loop

but beyond that, the best advice i can give is get to bass pro cableas or gander mountian, or even a bow shop or a pawn shop and just find one that fits you and that you like... pawn shops normally carry a few used bows here and there, but they are normally a bit beat up, but they are normally pretty cheap... up till now i've always bought used bows and haven't had any problems with them. i would just stay away from a used twin cam, unless if you have a good bow shop around that can tune it up really good, cause u don't know if the previous owner knew how to tune it, or not.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    the bear element or instinct would be really good for you. ive shot the instinct and i loved that it was so small and stuff like that. its quiet and really smooth. and i think the bow is 400 so the package at cabelas should be around 500.. i love the bear line its never done me wrong. the diamond lines also got some good ones too. i was just bowshopping not too long ago and i got the bear truth but that cost me about 650 so its over ur price range. the diamond triumph should be close to what ur lookin for too..

4. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    im looking for some inexpensive arrows and broadheads to that'll get the job done well. any other information would be helpful too.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    for arrows, i would go to walmart and get some of the carbon express arrows they got there, the walmart by me has them for $6.60 each, and pick up some muzzy 100 broadheads, kinda cheap, but get the job done real well

6. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    C, you need to jump on ebay. Buy yourself a Parker hunter mag or super mag or whatever for a hundred bucks or 150 bucks. Place the other 400 bucks you saved into a roth ira train yourself to shop like this for the rest of your life and you should end up a wealthy person.:wink: Some folks my think I'm a little odd for giving advice like this but with an avatar like mine, how could one not listen???:smile2:

7. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Everyone has giving great points hear but here is my imput of 35 years of bowhunting. Go to some pro shops and shot as many bows as you can in the price range yoour looking for. I myself have shot Browning, PSE, Diamond, Bowtech just to name a few. They all make great bows and I did what I told you to do. Shot as many as possible and pick the one thats feels the best to you. It might be a bow for less the 200 bucks. If thats the case you will have more money to but better arrows and other equipment. Best of luck to yoou.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Being 13, i'd suggest that you look for a "cheap" used bow. You'll out grow whatever you get in a year or two anyway. ANY bow will do the job if properly tuned. Don't go for the gimics! If your arm is getting tired that fast, you are pulling too much weight and it will affect your accuracy and enjoyment of the sport. If you are a deer hunter, a 40# will kill just as fast as a 70#, if you get a sharp broadhead to the target.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ditto to what Willie and JTR said. You will outgrow the bow. Get all sorts of neat bows at a good price on Ebay. All sorts of stuff in general. Good Luck

10. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Go to the local pro shop and get set up right. The one I deal with hear in PA has bow packages from 249.00 all the way to 1000.00.

Also most of the bow manufactures have bows made for younger people meaning they have a vast adjustment in length and draw.

And don't cheap out on the arrows and broadheads They are the most important part of the whole set up. Hear in PA 1/2 doz. Goldtip arrows cut to length, feleched with nocks and incerts under 40.00. Walmart can't touch that.

Find a "good" pro shop in your area and you will not be sorry.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There's usually a pretty decent selection of used bows up at Bill's in Claremore. I go there quite a bit and they have 20 or so bows for sales...might find a bargin.