Any suggestions on a large dip net

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by josh caudill, Sep 27, 2007.

1. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    On the night i got this hog flathead my dipnet broke in two. i dont want to get another wal-mart cheapo. I need a strong net that can take abuse.

2. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can probably get a real good one at uncle lees in greenville ky.

3. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Josh, check out the BEAST landing net at catfish connection. It is built heavy duty, rubber coated netting and there are two different. Worth checking out. Good luck brother!!:big_smile:

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Josh, Dicks has got the salmon nets in the back of the store in the lodge 34.99.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can find some pretty good ones out there. It's all to how much you want to spend. A good net will cost you around 80 to 100 bucks. If you go with a cheep net you will get a cheep net. I built my own hoop and tied my own net out of tarred #15 nylon it is a 40" X 38" net that is 5' deep. I used a old handle that I had that the handle slides in and out. I use 5/8 stainless tubing for the hoop. It takes time to tie a net but it's fun and gives me something to do in the winter when its too cold to fish. I seen good nets at Gander Mountain and at cabels. They were in the 90 dollar range.

6. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    i dont know if im skilled enough to tie a net or not. how would you start?

7. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think the company I ordered the how to book was Janns net crafters .com. I think? I did a search on the net and found it. I bought a book, a set of net needles and gauges and 6 steel rings for the bottom for around 20 bucks. You will mess up a net or two till you get the hang of it and you will wear blisters on your fingers. But I just really like building my own stuff like in the old days. I make my weights too. It's just fun winter stuff to me. If you got a old net that is factory tied not woven look at it and you can get the just of how the knots work.

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll post a picture when I get a chance if you want me to.

9. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    coolarrow2 thanks for all the work your putting into my dipnet woes:0010:

10. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bass Pro makes a great net also Josh. I have one of the Gold Series nets. It has a retractable handle so it does not get in your way if room is limited. Mine is the professional catch and release. It has a flat bottom and it is vinyl coated so it does not harm the fish. This is good especially if you plan to release your catch like alot of us do. It cost about $40. I have personally had a 46.5 pound hog in mine and it handled it well.:wink:

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    This thread is good timing for me I had a #20 break mine in half so I also need a good one. Is there a certain inside depth of the net that you guys prefer ? Thanks for the info...

12. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mine has a hoop on it about 22 x 27. It is 24 inches deep this helps alot when you are trying to land a hog when you are by yourself. When the fish is in the net you can just give it a twist and then you can set your rod down.By the way it has a flat bottom on it so that it keeps from tangling itself up.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Frabill power catch nets are great.

I bought one 2 seasons ago and its still good as new I would highly recommend one

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Follow this rule in life and you'll never have second thoughts:

Always buy the best you can afford, whatever it is. Treat it with care and do not abuse it... it should last a long time.:wink:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Have any of you guys tried to fill the hollow tubing in your net with that spray foam insulation ? I cant take any credit on the idea but I'm going to try it unless I hear of a reason why I shouldn't.

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I would only recommend a Cummings, Loki or Frabill net. Good nets are worth there money. I have seen some of the cheaper ones break at the handles.

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a old net that my dad made years ago. the net he had broke the same way yours did. so he daved the net part. and just built a new ring and handle for it. He just used metal electric conduit bent it in to the shape and size that he needed then put his old netting back on the new handle. it has worked great for me for the past 3 years now and it is strong and pretty light weight.3lbs

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Acadamy has a pretty good one that is pretty big but I need a bigger one if I get a fish bigger than 50 it can be a struggle.

19. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    You can turn any regular net into a no snag rubber net by covering it with the spray rubber undercoating for cars.:wink: Its cheaper than a rubber net and will do the same job. plus you can get the larger size you need for a hawg catfish.