Any suggestions on a deer rifle?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kycatman01, Sep 11, 2007.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am looking into buying a new(different) deer rifle. I already have a pretty nice Rossi Single shot 357 Magnum rifle and a Winchester 30-30. Both are decent guns but I am looking for a gun that will "reach out there". I'm not really into buying a real expensive gun just to beat up out in the woods, though. Any suggestions?????

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I bought a 30.06 710 Remington last year and i like it a lot. Bought it at wal-mart taxes and all 317.00 i believe.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Depends on what you're long shot is ,from 357 and 30-30 youre lookin at 170- 200 max if you dont normally need to take a longer shot than that I'd stick with what ya got ,The more you shoot ,the better you'll get. If you need a longer reaching round try a 243Win, 308 or 7mm/08 ,all are based on the 308 Win cart. case and all are flat shooting ,out to 300yds + and have mild recoil

4. JohnMeador609

JohnMeador609 New Member

State:
    ky
    As said 243, 260rem, 7mm-08, 308 are all great deer guns. Go to the local gun shop or retail store and see which they have the largest variety of ammo for then stick with that one. Hard to beat a 25-06 for a deer gun but that would depend on if your area has ammo for it.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That .30-30, with the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo will do a lot of reachin'.

But you prolly already knew that, and this is about the itch for a new gun.:big_smile:Richard speaks da troof, and of the choices he listed, .308 has, by far, the largest selection of factory loaded ammo.

6. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    If I were to pick a different caliber and I was only goin to use it on deer sized game then my first pic would be the 270 caliber...flat shooting, mild recoil...long range killing power. My second pick would be a 7mm / 08. I have both and both have been very effective on whitetails. My longest kill was with the 270 at 325 yards.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    right on with th .25-06:cool2: iwould sugjest a savage 110

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My first thought was a .243 because I also use mine for varmits so I can practice a lot on animals that wouldnt make me sick if I wounded and it ran off and died as a deer would. Next pick would be a .270 flat shooter with knock down power!! I shot a moose in Alaska with one at 300 yards thinking I'd somehow missed by his reaction. When he tried to take a step he just fell over in water but that is another story.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My self I would probably go with a .270. Good all aroung gun and still not much more recoil than a 30-30.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'd try what Dave said, the new Hornady load...spitzer bullet with the rubber tip thingy. Supposed to be a real upgrade & lots of deer been taken with 30-30. I've hunted over there, an contrary to most opinions, not many "reach out there". If the new load gives you munute of quarter at 150 yards, vs. 100, you're in business.
    Watch out for the guys "reaching out there". They don't know where you are. LOL

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can get a good .308 for a good price. look into the remington 700 line. they make some nice weapons for a descent price. or you could get a weatherby for cheap, but i dont put to much value on them. they have never really impressed me to much. i would definately suggest a .308 though. a good gun that will go a long way. i have one that i can put a shot within 3 minutes of angle (about the size of a dip can) out to about 600-650 yards. plus the ballistics of the rounds are the most consistent of most conventional rounds on the market.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how big are the deer in your area?
    How long is your longest shot going to be?
    How are you with recoil?
    I would suggest 7mm Mag for you if you can handle the recoil
    If not i would suggest the 243, but it is not so good with the bigger deer.
    Anything in between would be great for most deer in the country. I like a 25-06 or 308 myself, IF i was a body shot man.
    I use 22-250 and its "neck or nuthin'"

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi
    My wife gave me a weatherby 300.mag for Christmas and its a vanguard comes with a shot target at 100 yds and is guaranted to shoot 1 1/2 inches or less. I took mine to a gun shop had a gentry muzzle break put on it and the barrel free floated and steel bedded. The gentry removes up to 85% of the felt recoil. It kicks about as hard as a .223 with a 180 grain bullet.
    The rifle cost about $398.00 at walmart and is the same as Howa 1500.
    It is a tack driver I have never had a rifle shoot as tight a group as this weatherby does, I guess you know I recommend it for anyone who wants a good rifle out of the box.

I have taken deer as close as 85 yds and as long as 256 yds with one shot.

Good luck on your selection.

14. JohnMeador609

JohnMeador609 New Member

State:
    ky

Agree on the Savages also not the prettiest or expensive gun on the market but but you will be hard pressed to find a more accurate gun out of the box in the price range. CZ's will shoot lights out so give them a look also. Tikka is a fine lower end gun. Seen allot of A-bolts that will shoot. Then we all know Sako's will shoot like fire if you want to spend that much coin. Just make sure in your choice you leave enough cash for a quality piece of glass doesn't matter how nice of a gun you got if you cant see it you cant hit it :wink:

15. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wal Mart here has a new Remington package for sale for 280 bucks. Included is the rifle with scope attached and comes in several calibers including 270, 7 mag, and 300 mag. Im sure its probabally about the same price everywhere. The stock is synthetic kinda bluish grey colored but the rifle feels really good in your hands. I dont see how you could beat that price for a name brand rifle. (bolt action)

16. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Theres a lot of variables in that question. What do you consider "reach out there". How comfortable are you with recoil. How much do you shoot. What kind of game will you be using the rifle on besides deer. How much are you willing to pay. Do you have access to a good store to pick up ammo. These are all things that need to be put into the mix when considering your question. There are alot of good catridges out there that can do the job. Starting from the .270, 7m08, 7mm mag, 25-06, .308 and my personal favorite the .30-06. What you decide on is more of a personel preference. Any of the common calibers on the market are good for deer sized game especially When paired with the right kind of ammo. I think beyond the obvious choices the most important thing is that you have to really get comfortable in the rifle you choose and in your shooting abilities. You can have a top of the line custom built rifle with top of the line optics, but if you do not practice and practice some more you may never reach your full ability with a rifle. Enough said about that, now I would have to say I love my remington mod. 710 in .30-06. I brought it 4 years ago around x-mas for under 300. I was able to find a decent leupold 3-9 for a good price. Theres plenty of ammo selection for it, from varmit loads all the way up to the 220grain big game loads for bear. I shot a MOA at 100 yards. I've taken coyotes, deer, hogs, and one bull elk with it. My longest shot was 510 yards at a coyote. I've spent alot of time shooting this rifle at various distances. I am real confident in my ability to shoot well with this rifle, and at the end of the day that is really what counts. JMO.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am wanting to know what yall consider a long shot in kentucky? i went through there once and it seemed pretty thick. i shoot a .30-06 and still see considerable meat damage on a 200 yd shot. .308 will do about the same. if you're too close, the entry and exit wounds are going to be big. make it a head/neck shot and it will go down fine.

18. JohnMeador609

JohnMeador609 New Member

State:
    ky
    It is thick but if you hunt the fields you can have some long shots. Normal shot's for me is 40-120 yards. A long poke for my self under field conditions is around 300 any father and I see the risk in a wounded animal. But you could have 600-1000 yard shots if you wanted to set up on them like that.

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've shot a Ruger 77 in 30/06 as my go to gun since I bought it new in 1975, great gun and the 30/06 has never let me down. With that said I switched to a 25/06 this year, the older I get the less I like get'n pounded when shooting and I like to shoot a lot. For deer I would be fine with a .243, .257 Roberts, 25/06, .260, .270 or 7mm/08. Several others in that range I didn't mention, but any of those are plenty enough gun for deer without punishing you and all will reach out on touch one as far as most folks need to be try'n to. My new gun is a Tikka T3, SIL got one last year in a .270 and it's a tack driver, I wanted one in a .260 but couldn't find one so I went with a 25/06, alway loved the 25/06, had a Ruger #1 in 25/06 years ago and have regretted swap'n it off ever since.

20. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I own and have built several rifles and they are in several calibers. I have a lot of experience with rifels. For whitetail in the midwest, midsouth, and southeast, anything from a .243 through any .30 caliber is just fine. That being said, choose a gun that you like. For example. Like someone said, I don't like getting my head jerked every time I pull the trigger. I find I'm building more of my rifles in the lighter calibers. My favorite now is the 6.5X55. If I was buying a rifle to hunt whitetail and maybe use a short range elk rifle I would choose the .260. The 7MM-08 or 7MM Mauser would be my second choice. Another one to give strong consideration is the .280. Nothing wrong with a .270 either. But if a person is looking for light recoil, long range, and accuracy then the .260, 7MM-08, or 7MM Mauser is the calibers of choice.