Any suggestions for setting up my new boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Trophy Hunter, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I picked up my new rig last weekend. I have not done much fishing with her yet because I have been trying to break the motor in. I have ordered some "PVC" type rod carriers for the sides of the console and some Driftmaster rod holders for the rails. I need a decent depth finder but I am not sure which brand or features I need. I do not want to spend more than I need to for features I won't use. Any suggestions? I have included some pictures so if anyone has any suggestions about anything on this boat it would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mark

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    man that is a NICE!!!!!!! Rig....Looks pretty comfy for chasing whiskers all nite... Love the Bimini as well, wish I had one for when the sun is beating straight down on ya...

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mark That's a beauth rig, I hope you enjoy it. Have fun getting it sit up just like you want.

Good fishing

4. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Nice boat,Few fish in the livewell and I think you got all you need

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Wow Mark, that is a fine rig indeed. What brand is it? What about the motor? You are going to have lots of fun on it.

st

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is that a carolina? Thats wicked sweet! :big_smile:

7. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Mark,
    The first thing I can see that you need, is a few large BOC decals planted on her. That is going to be one Lean Mean Fishing Machine!

Nice boat!!!!!!!!!
    _

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice outfit! Looks like the first thing ya gotta attack is some good rod holders. That solid glass side with no access under neath is gonna make that a challenge. I wish ya nothin but the best with your new boat.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :cool2: Really a neat boat.The only thing I can see wrong with it is "It's Parked In The Wrong DRIVEWAY:lol: . I'm sure your gonna enjoy it ,hope you catch some big fish with it. Looks like the floor could get slick if wet or am I looking at it wrong. good lookin boat just the same. LUCKY YOU!! ENJOY .

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hay that one fine looking boat :cool2: What brand and size motor ENJOY:big_smile:

11. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    The very first thing I would recommend is not to put your rod holders on your boat until u take your boat out a time or two and drift or drop anchors. I made that mistake and its to late now to fix it. See how your boat is going to react to drifting and also anchoring. Take a shapy and put a dot exactly where you need rod holders. I set my boat up in the carport. Now I wish I would have done it different. Good Luck

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    man that is a nice rig you got there but can i ask what is custom about it or did i read your thread wrong i thought you said you customized it?

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well from past experience, and not all my own, I would suggest the following:

Spare boat plugs (better to fish atop the lake than pilot a U-boat)
    Fire extinguisher
    First Aid Kit
    Emergency whistle
    Paddles (complete electrical failure left me on a lake in the middle with no one around. Great drift fishing, but really long day and walk back)
    Cell Phone/Marine 2way
    Spare fuses (funny how they seem to blow at the worst times)
    Weather radio (nothing like a freak storm packing 60 mph winds to make boating fun)
    Spare prop, nut and cotter pin. (lost one of those too, nut sure how, but came off in deep water)

Yeah I know I sound like your mom, but believe me I have boated since is was 6 weeks old and have seen or experienced many near tragedies that I know laugh about. Enjoy your new boat and teach as many younguns to fish as you can.

P.s Using profane language does not increase the ability of your spouse to back a trailer or launch/recover a boat. Just irritated my mom and my wife wasnt amused either.

14. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't have any advise for setup, I just wanted to say that is a great looking boat. I like that "off shore" style.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The thread is titled into a question.

Any suggestions for sitting up my new boat ?

Here is my answer......Take your time and enjoy the process....the answer to your question is simply.

Have Fun doing it.

16. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The boat is a Carolina Skiff. It is 17' 2" long. (all that would fit in the garage) The width is what I really like, 93" beam with 80" at the floor. I needed more room to take my 3 sons a little more comfortably. The flat bottom design allows for a very shallow draft, 6"-8". The flat bottom also allows me to run a small motor and get a respectable cruise speed of 40 mph. The motor is a two stroke 70 hp Yamaha.
    I will not be drilling the gunnels for any rod holders. I have ordered some Driftmasters with bases for the rails. I hope this works out like I intended. I can't wait to get her right!
    I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN A RESPONSE ABOUT A DEPTH FINDER! What works for you and why?

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great choice in boat! The CS will probably be my next boat. I like the 93" wide model and I am sure you too will LOVE the width.

I would try to put two Driftmasters on those back rails in a slight "V" formation. That should give you a good spread back there for drifting. You will also be able to add some Driftmasters to those front rails for anchoring or to add a couple of more shallow rods for drifting.

As for electronics I went with the Eagle depthfinder with GPS. They are made by Lowrance and they have the EXACT same features as the Lowrance and are about 20% less. You can get into a good one with GPS and the map card feature for around $450.00. The GPS is something you will love for keeping track of places to fish and it will save your butt when running at night or if you get caught in fog. It is really nice to enter a waypoint for fish and be able to run back over them several times on a trip.

Hard to say where to add the PVC rod holders. That bimini may present some limits as to where to go, but it looks like the sides right behind the front rails may work.

18. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was worried about the bimini top getting in the way of the rod holders on the console as well. I figured I would transport the rods there, get setup, then open the top if I needed it. Honestly I do not think I will have it up much unless my wife just wants to cruise around a bit. I have concerns it would get in the way when trying to fight and land a good size fish.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mark, when I got my boat in April it came with a bimini top. I removed it because it got in the way of rods, casting, and landing fish. It does come in handy if you fish during the day in the sun, but other than that I would rather wear a rain suit to stay dry.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Eagle brand depth finders seem to be a good value for the money. Made in the same factory and with mostly the same "guts" as Lowrance units, but typically have less power output and a much lower price tag. Functionally, they're the same.

I use the FishElite 480 and it works just fine for my needs - will probably upgrade over the winter but not because of anything this unit lacks, just want to get something newer and fancier. It's nearly the same as the Lowrance LMS-480 but costs quite a bit less.

I'd consider a color display, minimum 480x480 resolution, built-in GPS and 2000W RMS output power to be requirements of any new unit I buy. The GPS in my Eagle 480 has proven too valuable to be just a neat "extra" -- it's a must-have item for me. Color display and good resolution helps you see the bottom more clearly and differentiate structure from fish more easily. More power means better target identification.