Any suggestions/comments?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by congareecatfisher, Jun 19, 2008.

1. congareecatfisher

congareecatfisher New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello all. My name is Adam and I live in Downtown Columbia area and fish the Congaree river. I do not currenly have access to a boat so I usually bankfish or wade into the river(Congaree). I have caught many sunfish and bass below the Gervais Street bridge recently(since moving to the downtown area in January to attend USC) and would like to catch some decent size cats. Therefore, I am goin down river just a little to the boat landing on Rosewood Drive to try my luck. I also know a few local spots near Blythewood that I have seen people drag 25lb blues out of. I have a 6 ft ugly stik spinning rod and I would like a spinning reel that can handle fish up to 40 lbs or so. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Eventually I would like to get another rod to go with the new spinning reel. Any suggestions on the spinning reel I should get? I will use my Shimano Sonora reel w the Abu rod to catch bream so I can produce cut bait. I usually use that rod/reel to fish for bass, so I will need a little spin caster combo soon as well for the bream(cat bait). Any suggestions? I will be fishing a carolina rig w cut bait when I go to Rosewood's boat landing in the next few nights.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    First, welcome to the BOC. Second, buy a bait caster instead of a spinning reel for big cats. keep us posted.
    BB in Bennettsville

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Bill, some of us are prolly not as adept at using baitcasters to cast out a ways :eek:oooh: Lord knows that I've created some hellacious bird's nests with mine! Adam: there is a Sportsmans Warehouse in Columbia, cruise over there and see what they have to offer that you can afford (on a student's budget) that will allow you to spool at least 200 yards of 20#-25# test line. Or, you can try your local jockey lot; you can prolly save a few $, but you will take a chance at the quality of the reel, as you want/need a good drag if you're looking to get into some cats in the 20# + range from the bank.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Bill, some of us are prolly not as adept at using baitcasters to cast out a ways :eek:oooh: Lord knows that I've created some hellacious bird's nests with mine!>

I just figure that you can get, say, an Abu Garcia 6000 probably for about the same price as a good heavy duty spinning reel. As for the bird's nests, there is a tension knob on the side of the reel that you can adjust the spool tension tighter to prevent bird's nests. You can then gradually lesson the tension as you learn how to do it correctly. I was just thinking of a long term investment. I personally cannot imaging river fishing, tackling big cats with a spinning outfit as my primary reel. Doesn't mean they can't be caught with one though.
    Bill in SC

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congaree -

I used to fish that area below Gervais a lot when I was in school up that way. We would take my canoe and go over to the rocky shallows on the west cola side and cast net shad for cut bait and then fish them in the current where the water flowed around the end of the rocks. We would commonly catch 10 to 20 channels and sometimes as many small stripers in the course of a few hours of an evening. We didn't get anything big, though.

I did try exploring down rive a bit, but didn't have much luck. The remains of the dam by the old lock just up river from the rosewood landing can be a dynamite spot for small stripers in the evening. Lots of fun with small popping plugs - like a rebel Pop-R.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Adam.

7. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Go out to the Barnyard Flea Market on Highway #1. There's a guy with a permanent booth out there who generally has a good selection of reconditioned and second shakespear and okuma products as well as a lot of other misc. rods, reels, and tackle. I typically use baitcasters myself but I have a large frame Okuma spinning reel I bought from him tha is smooth and solid and I haven't had any trouble with landing anything on it yet. Best thing is you can't beat the prices.

The thing about catfishing is it's not so much a sport of castig as it is a sport of landing so you can use gear that is not so much precise as it is rugged. I own quite a few Ambassadeur reels because I grew up bass fishing and they were the standard so I just bought bigger ones when I moved to bigger fish. In all honesty I have gotten better service out of the Shakespear rip-offs. The bait clicks aren't as good but I can buy them for $15 apiece and pair them with Silstar's white catfish rod (also $15 and an uglystick clone). I load them up with 20lb cajun line and fish with them forever. I have never missed a fish on one of these rigs that I would have caught on anything more expensive. In fact my 2 personal best cat's, a 67lb blue and a 54lb flathead were both caught on this same type reel paired with an uglystick I bought as a combo from walmart some years ago. That being said I do have some heavier stuff I use when fishing heavy cover but it's not because of the brand name.

8. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Be sure to remember that the rod and reel combination you choose is typically more about the bait you will be using than the fish you will catch. You can land big fish on all sorts of tackle if you know what you're doing but trying to set the hook in any fish in heavy current with a 2oz egg weighlt and a 4oz bream at the end of 50 yards of line with a considerable belly in it takes a rig with some length and backbone. Trying to control that much weight when casting also puts a lot of strain on your gear. You'll find, especially in river fishing, that you can put a lot more wear and tear on your gear just trying to find fish than you do actually fighting them.

9. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I couldn't agree more.

I am a big braided line guy. I will run 80lb Suffix braid on all of my gear and tip with a 30lb flourocarbon leader in case of snags - I would rather lose hooks and weights than 40 bucks worth of braided line! Anyhow, I have had great luck with this combo. I use my surf fishing gear for cats as well, one Penn Spinner and one Daiwa, both nice and heavy reels paired up with rods built for surf action.

To the author of this thread: Don't skimp on your gear. I have spent more on 20-30 dollar rigs only to have to replace them than I would have spent on nicer stuff. I recommend Daiwa Emcast and Penn Captiva spinning reels. I am not sure if they will match with your rod or not, but you can get combos of both reels with matching rods for between 70-100 dollars each.

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Adam,
    My son Adam graduated from there last summer. Good School even though I am a Tech fan. I too am kinda new at this big kitty fishing and have gone through this forum a lot. I have found a lot of good helpful information and everyone here is real helpful as well. Use the member library, invaluable. I am fortunate enough to have a Basspro Warehouse near where I live, so I can get reconditioned stuff. Recently purchased was a CatMaxx 11' Heavy for setting hooks and casting for distance. I also got a Abu 6500C3. Spooled with 30# Hi-Vis. Just a little fatherly advice from an old man. "You get what you pay for":big_smile: "listen to the advice here on the forum" :big_smile:"do your research":big_smile:"make good grades":crazy::eek:oooh::smile2: sorry about that last one kicked into daddy mode. Good Luck!!!