Any stronger?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Uncle Sam, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm adding some rod holders to my boat and I need a couple more reels. I'm watching ebay and shopping too. My question is this: Is a 6000 any stronger than a 5000? I have an old 5000C I bought new in 1975. I pulled it out of the closet and have been using it lately. I hooked a big softshell turtle and it was a hard pull getting him to the top to get the hook out. The old 5000 did great. When I clean the reels the gears look the same as my 6000. Am I getting anything except more line capacity? What are the advantages other than the size of the spool? The old 5000 handles very nice on the ugly stick. Advice needed. Thanks in advance.

Sam

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They are identical with the exception that the 6000 is wider for the wider spool. It holds more line, but has the same gears and drag washers. It's pretty common also that most of the 6000/6500 size come with a clicker. A few of the 5000/5500 size reels did also, but they're not easy to find.

If you don't need alot of line, I'd be inclined to think that the 5000/5500 size would be a little stronger. Since the shaft of the spool is shorter, then there's not as much room for flex in the shaft. The frame which supports the spool is closer to the center of the spool. I would think this would have less of a chance to warp the spool.
    Any other thoughts from anybody on that?

The difference between the two are just trade off in size vs line capacity.

I've seen some really big fish cranked in on the ole 5000. Just enjoy it if it works for you.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I only saw 2 drag washers in my 5000 and 4 in my 6000?

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've seen the same differences too in the year models. They make subtle changes sometimes from year to year. That's why some people think the drags are better on one reel than the other, that's because they are, it has more washers