Any squirrel hunters out there??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Katfish Kern, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Looking for any bushy tail hunters out there, and seein how they did this year.:004:

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC from Kentucky I use to squirrel hunt alot but I aint able anymore im sure you will find some squirrel hunters on her

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Do yall have greys up there, or are they fox squirrels? And what do you prefer, 22 or a scatter gun?

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to hunt em a lot, but not since i moved to the tx panhandle. shot them in the winter with a .22 and the spring with a shotgun. good times! shot the fox and grey squirrels, much rather have the fox- more meat on them bones.

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    i had a bad year did not kill any in wv it suck bad:confused2:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    my son started hunting them last year. i have always hunted them but slacked off a bit till now. i like the 22 best but early season full leaves calls for a shot gun and 4s. we did well this last season with a few in the freezer still.

we have gray and fox squirell up here. i think your fox may be a bit differnt than ours though. my cousins always told me not to shoot them they were protected. the grays down there were smaller than ours here, but those "protected" fox squirells are HUGE man!!!!!!!!

welcome to the site!

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I tree them with hound's ..when the leaves are off is the best time with dog's...I also coon hunt...

8. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    It has been a long time since I have hunted bushy tails. I like to use a .410 and #6 shot.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I hunt squirrels once in a while. Usually take more of them during rabbit hunting than any other time, but i go just for squirrels sometimes. We have gray squirrels an fox squirrels, the fox squirrels are protected around here, so we dont shoot them. I like the shotgun for squirrel hunting sometimes, but i also like the challenge of the .22. Some people have started using the high power air rifles for squirrels around here.

10. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been hunting tree chickens sence i was 4-5 with my dad. I still try to hunt for them every year, usually use my marlin 22lr or for some extra punch my .17 HMR.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah me and my dad go often.I dont much go alone anymore because of my heart trouble.But i do enjoy it,thats the first thing my dad taught me to hunt,good times and good memories.I either use a .22 or a 20 ga shot gun,depends on what kind of challange i want that day

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I hunt reds and greys with a 22-410 over and under . I send the tails to mepps to make inline spinnerbaits .:004::004::004: Good eating .

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Hunting tree rats is one of my favorite things to do. Depending on the area around here you hunt you will see mostly grey's in some areas and mostly fox squirrels in other areas. Both make for some great eating. We generally kill quite a few during the season and last year was no exception.

14. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great here in ohio got alot can shoot how many i want since i own my own woods!:cool2:

15. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Squirrel was my favorite animal to hunt growing up and on tru adulthood. I started out using my grandpaw's 22 rifle. Later own I got my own 22 and a squirrel dog. Squirrel was on the plate almost every week. I never hunted in the spring when they were having babies. I then started hunting them with a 32 cal. flintlock rifle. This was the most rewarding hunts of all. My squirrel dog had passed own by then and I was on my own. Now I have to have a scope on my 17 mark two to hunt them. Thats what age will do to you. One thing hasn't changed and thats the challenge of the hunt and the great taste of slow cooked squirrel. Catfishjon

16. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    It's good to see how folks haven't forgot about squirrel huntin. I mostly use a 22, but sometimes I have to use a scatter gun when things get real thick. I have seen some reds around here but just a few. We have a bunch of fox squirrels, but the are protected. And man are they huge, I was out the other day goin to the river and one came up so big I thought he was gonna car jack me!:004: Also anyone got any recipes? I usually marinate and toss em on the grill. But I have boiled them in chicken broth and shredded the meat and mixed em with rice and gravy with mushrooms.

17. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    when i go squirrel hunting i also get my deer scouting in.i usually just slow walk around do my deer scouting and then before i leave the woods i'll go back to where i seen a squirrel and get one right before i leave the woods.mostly fox up here but there are a few greys.i usually take my ruger .22 LR.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im a squirel hunter and i use my dogs to tree them.just killing them is not much fun for me but i get a real kick out of watching my feist work.

19. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    love squirrel lots of fun to hunt and tast great as well i use .22 browning my son uses .410

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

one of my favorite ways to cook them is to season then brown them. place browned pieces in crock pot with a can of cream mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup. add only one can of water + onion powder, pepper and garlic stir every hour or so cooking all day. some biscuits go nice with this too!