Any squirrel hunters here?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by TX Fisherman, Jul 13, 2008.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I been doin alot of squirrel huntin lately and was wonderin if i was the only one, i find it alot of fun and makes you a good shot if your usin a .22, there alot of fun to try and sneak up on, anyone else enjoy this?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    limb rats:wink: I grew up hunting the things and still enjoy a mess of fryed squirrle. It's open season here now, but i don't hunt till fall.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    .177 was the choice growing up. :cool2:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea i love to squirel hunt with a 22 you are right lots of fun with a 22 also have a rat terrier that loves to run thear little fuzzy butts for me

Attached Files:

• ANN.jpg
      ANN.jpg
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
  5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually wait till cooler weather, I dont like snakes and ticks.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    same hear :0a24::0a27:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    They help pass the time while sitting in a tree stand all day waiting for a deer. I'll take out a dozen or so while bowhunting each year. If there within 10 to 15 yards I'll pop one. It also helps my confidence when a deer worth shooting does come along that I'll get a good shot....taste good too. Chicken Fried Squirrel.:big_smile:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dallas she's one fine lookin tree dawg. I had a solid black female that treed well. Took her a while to start barking on tree though. I love to watch em.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i shoot em mount them for folks and eat them.

i like using a new englend 20 guage single shot. sometimes they run. got to be broad withn the shot.

buddie of mine was bragging a couple years ago about .22 and he was a hunter and a .22 was the only thing to hunt them with.:smile2:

i said i like actually eating them too. at seasons end i had shot 20 in a few outings. he was 0 for 0.:smile2:

heres some of mine. a black, grey, and 2 fox.

and a killer recipe for cooking these semi tough little boogers. tenders them up.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40588

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks she will burn a bushy tails but she has ben known to catch a few on the ground i get a kick outa seeing her run one shes gets so low running so hard looks like her bellys gona drag the ground wife gets a kick out of her to she lets her out on the ones in the bird feeders to lol i dont realy care if i kill one or not its just a blast to watch that little dog work

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thats some fine looking mounts thanks for sharring

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    when i was a kid, squreil huntin and trappin was my passion. mid to late season is just the best time to be out there takin it all in.god i love it :big_smile: :cool2:

13. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    nice mounts man, they look good

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i like to huntem when i was younger use to kill 60-70 a season kept all the older folks around here in meat but now there all gone so i just kill a few for me to eat .love that squirrel gravy over biscuts

15. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I like to hunt squirrels, but I don't hunt them as much as I used to. I usually hunt them later in the year though, usually when the morning lows drop down to the '50's, and they're cutting pecans. As for eating, a mess of fried squirrels with mashed potatoes and gravy is as almost as good as fried chicken, but unlike a lot of people I grew up around I don't eat the brains.
    :smile2:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man ive heard there goooooooooodddddd!, but i wont eat them either. ive never been an organ eater. liver tounge hearts ect...

i eat chicken gizzards. but thats about it.:cool2:

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive only eaten brains once, but dont ya'll know thats knowledge eating knowledge.:wink:

18. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My favorite hunting. Here in AZ the season is short, Oct thru Nov.., However this year the G&F extended the season from the first of Oct to the end of the year. YaHoo! That gives me more time and opportunity to after them "Tree Rats". I built up a couple of Ultimate 10/22's just for these lil' boogers.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    not much longer here. to hot though.:eek:oooh:

we get 6 months lmao. theres a bunch and not a ton of folks hunt them. aug1 through feb 15th. limit 5 per day 10 possession limit. so i try and eat them a little as i hunt and end the season with my limit.

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i wouldent hunt in this heat for all the bushytails in the world lol :eek:oooh: