Any Sauger fishermen here?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Nobody Special, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    It's getting about that time of the year. Around here, Thanksgiving is the time to start sauger fishing below Cheatham dam.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes we are going to Pickwick to camp and fish for sauger and catfish tomorrow and sunday. :)
    They are just getting startet here. Sure do enjoy eating them. but hate to catch 100 to get 2 limits that will keep. :mad: Wish TWRA would wise up and change the length law. Let us have a slot limit on them. Every good we I keep is full of eggs.
    Throw back the 14" to 18" fish.

Pete

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Spent a while yesterday tying up a bunch of jigs for this Friday. Will try the Tenn from Guntersville Dam down to Huntsville. May be a little too early seeing how it's just now cooling down. Will post results after we get in Friday.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I went to the BPS in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and picked up some Hoppy's football head sauger jigs. I also got a big pack of Northland Fire Ball Jigs and some extra stinger hooks.

5. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Ive fished the Greenup Dam Ohio River Pool a few times and had some great days.Im gonna try and fish it soon as its about 2 hrs from my house.I usually just use leadhead jigs with twister tails but i fished with my cousin at Markland Dam Ohio river pool last year and we used river shiners and sucker minnows and caught bigger females.He caught some shiners with cast net up against the lock wall.When they are in there its alot of fun.Ive caught them off the bank and in boat.I think im gonna try markland next week for sauger.Good Luck To All

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think I have aorund 12 dozen sauger jigs in different colors and sizes. We can buy them near there. They have the stinger hook on them.
    Fished a little while Saturday for Sauger. Only caught a drum. but did get 2 bites. IF you can call a sauger bite a bite.LOL
    Looking foward to lots of good eating this winter. Like the sauger to eat. And also will do a lot of crappie fishing.
    PEte

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Hey Pete, could you give me the basics for sauger fishing? Iv'e never fished for them but caught one the other day below Chickamauga dam on accident. I have heard they are really good to eat and would like to try and get a few for dinner. I know you have been on my lake and I would think it would be simular to Pickwick so I'm sure you could set me on the right course.

Here's the things I would like to know:
    Whats the best time of year/ water temps
    Best location- tailrace or main lake, deep or shallow
    Setup- drifting/ trolling
    Bait- artificial or live
    Size limit

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Ok Here we fish most of the time below the dam for them. They stack up at the dam. We use a 3/4 or 1 oz jig, It has a stinger hook on it. Tipped with a minnow.
    Drift fish, Move with the current. Try to keep the bait straight up and down. I jig it up and drop it back down. Most of the strikes happen on the fall. but 90% of the time they bite so lite, That most people only find them when they jerk the jig up to drop it back down.
    Most of the time you will think theres a leaf on the hook, That is how light the bite is.
    Yes they are good eating sweet taste. I Took some out of the freezer for supper tonight. I batter them just like catfish.

In the lake I would fish around the dam. Like the lock walls. Theres lots of them caught here in the lake along the lock walls. Also in the river we catch them near the dam. And then start back fishing for them about 2 miles down stream. Also any creek mouth is a great spot for them.
    Depth is well that is hard. Anywhere from 12 ft to 40 ft. All in a weeks time.
    Most of the places in the river is right along the drops. Fish the sandbars and gravel bars. Near deep water.
    Also if its cold wind and clouds rain or snow its a perfect day for sauger. The bright sun shine will turn them off. early morning is a good time for them.

If I had to pick one place to fish for sauger and was where you are at. I would stick around the dam. use a 1 oz sauger jig Football shaped with a medium minnow on the hook. I use a 6ft med action spinning rod and 8 lb test line. I like the bright color line something you can see. I catch lots of fish that I do not feel bite. But see the line jump.
    Pop the jig up about 16" and let it fall natural. And it will take a while to get the hang of it.
    As for water temps. When the water gets around 55 or so. The sauger start moving and eating like crazy. Getting ready for the spawn in the late winter early fall.
    Anything you need to ask just do it.

PEte

9. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Pete, thanks a bunch, that really helps a lot. I will take your advice and try below Chickamauga dam or WattsBar dam in a few weeks. Right now the water temp on the lake is still around 63-65 degrees but steadily falling. I'll assume it's not much cooler than that below the dam.
    When fishing below the dams should I fish like I would for cats?
    ex: (fishing directly below the discharge and working the current seams or should I fish the slack water in front of the floodgates, lockwalls, barge tieoffs.)
    What kind of current or lack of do these fish prefer? (strong, med, slow)
    Again, thanks for the help Pete.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Below the dam fish the dead water or the slack water near the current. Here we catch them along the walls of the dam. The wing walls or lock walls are a good spot. and we also fish down river from the locks. The water is not fast there. So the fish stack up good there.
    Also you can catch them trolling the 1 oz jigs or crank baits also.
    Pete

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Over here where the white and black meet we through silver spoons and do very well at catching them. They'll be around the mudline like the skips and one of the smaller silver spoons works well for them. Up until recently i didn't know we had them. There was a ol man that was using a trolling motor around the mudline throwin one of them spoons wearing them out. He said he was catchin saugers. So the next time out we tried for them and caught 15 or so in 30 to 40 minutes.

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Daniel, be careful below and close to the dam there at Chickamauga, there are a lot of shallow areas with rock just below the surface. We haven't seen people fishing in a lot of the areas there because of the rocks. Jerry Trew told us about them, just a heads up for you.

By the way Daniel, we still have your lucky cap and gloves buddy.

13. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Hey Jim& Judy, how are you two doing? I'm famiair with the rock piles below the dam. About four years ago I was fishing the area with a few friends and we saw a big new MasterCraft ski boat hit the rocks that were just inches below the surface. We gave them a tow, but by the time we reached the boat ramp their boat was almost sunk. I'll hollar at you guy's soon.

14. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Went Friday from Huntsville to Guntersville Dam. Fished all kinds of places from 50' holes to flat channel bottoms to water below Guntersville Dam. Only one bite I could guess was from a jack. DId catch many drum and 2 3lb blues that made my fishing partner a good mess of fish for the weekend.

Water here is still 63 degrees, may be too warm to have triggered the upward migration toward the dam. It's supposed to be in the 70s most of the week so I guess it wont happen this week either. Veterans Day is the traditional first day of sauger fishing in these parts but I'm beting it'll be the worse one lately.

Scott

15. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Man this past weekend i have caught almost 100 sauger (no exaggeration!) they have been moving up toward lock 2 on the allegheny and me and some of the regulars have been crishing them i had to have saw over 200 this weekend! I have been getting them on curly tails and suspended rapalas in 2-10ft of water. out of all those sauger i have only seen 10 walleye, who are the native species.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Be glad when the water here cools off some more then they move in.
    Sounds like your haveing some great fishing there.
    Pete

17. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    We have Saugeye's here at my local lake. They are a cross of a Walleye & Sauger. I have yet to catch one, but this fall and winter I am going to target them. I hear they are a real tastey fish with a lot of meat on them.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We have all three here also.
    Theres times you will catch quite a few Saugeye ans walleye, And then other times you will not catch anything but Sauger.
    Wish I had more info on catching the Walleye here.
    Pete

19. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    We also have all three, i like catchin the saugeyes the best because they have that "hybrid vigor" and fight harder than the other two. Ive seen some big saugeyes this year, a few 25" and up.

20. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Whats the biggest sauger you ever caught? or walleye? mine is 19" sauger and 20" walleye.