Any roofers one here? Layered Shingles

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by rocky357, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    I got an old house that was built in the 40's that seems to have several layers of shingles on it. the top layer doesn't look too good so I'm thinking about replacing it.

My question is if any of those older layers of shingles may have asbestos in them? I would say the top layer is about 20 years old so the other one/ ones? have to be 30 or 40 years old.

If it does have asbestos in them what are the procedures to get them off there? How much would that cost me? ballpark estimate. The house is around 1200 sq feet A frame, no hips or valleys.

Thanks for your help

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not aware asbestos was used in shingles? if the house has more than 3 layers, i would tear it off. If not cut back the edge a few inches and when you lay your starter shingles (upside down on 1st. run) it will look as if it only has 1 layer. I shingled several homes etc. and if ya need help gettin started holler at me. 5'' bond is easier to lay in my opinion.

3. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    John,
    Thanks for the response. Apparently it was pretty common for shingles in older homes to have asbestos in them. I've attached a link from a website that explains it in detail.
    http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/asbestoshomeshingles.php

I worked in heavy construction at coal mines and papermills and have seen the process of asbestos removal and want to completely avoid that if at all possible. We knew back then when the men in space suits showed up at the job site, work was coming to a stop!

I've heard that removing asbestos shingles from a home is very expensive.

4. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I RECOMMEND HIGHLY A COMPLETE TEAR OFF!!
    WEIGHT IS THE MAJOR ISSUE WITH THAT MANY LAYERS, GET SOME ICE OR SNOW ON TOP AND THERE COULD BE TROUBLE!!

MOST ZONING RESTRICTIONS IN MY AREA ONLY ALLOW THREE LAYERS BEFORE A TEAR OFF BECAUSE OF WEIGHT ISSUES.

YOU MAU FIND THE BOTTOM LAYER TO BE OLD SHAKES IF THE HOUSE IS OLD ENOUGH, WEAR A DUST MASK AND USE A HAMMER ON THEM JUST SHUCK THEM LIKE CORN SIDE TO SIDE THEY COME OFF EASY AS PIS. WILL HAVE LOT'S OF NAILS TO PULL BUT DO THEM AS YOU GOT SLIDING YOUR HAMMER HEAD OVER EVERYSQUARE INCH OF ROOF IT WILL GREATLY REDUCE THE TIME IN DOING SO!
    IF THE BOTTOM ID SHAKE YOU'LL HAVE TO APPLY PLYWOOD AT LEAST 11/16TH'S THICK ON IT, DO NOT OPT OUT FOR THE CHEAPER OSB, IT WILL CRUMBLE IF IT EVER GET'S WET.
    HOPE THIS HELPS
    ALSO IF YOU REAPPLY THE ARCHITECTURAL SHINGLES THEY ARE VERY FORGIVING IN THEIR APPLICATION, JUST POP A 30-36 LINE VERTICALLY AND POP LINES EVERY 15 OR 20 INCHES TO KEEP YOUR HORIZONTALS ACCURATE AND YOU'RE GOING LIKE JEWELS!

aLOS RECOMMEND YOU GET A COIL NAIL GUN AND COMPRESSOR YOU'LL ROOF THAT JOKER SO FAST YOU WONT BELIEVE IT! MOST PAWN SHOPS GOT THEM CHEAP! AND YOU CAN ALWAYS SELL IT IF YA DONT REUSE IT TO ANY ROOFER OR PAWN SHOP!

TROUBLE WITH THE ASBESTOS IS EASY TO AVOID THERE'S ONLY SMALL CONCENTRATIONS IN THEM ANYWAY, A DUST MASK AND LONG SLEEVES WILL SUFFICE, THE STICKY PART IS IN THE DISPOSAL!! MOST PLACES CHARGE A HIGH FEE FOR IT, i RECOMMEND YOU FIND A LOCAL TO RENT A DUMPTRUCK FROM AND JUST AGREE ON A FEE FOR THE REMOVAL AND HE'LL TAKE IT ALL TO THE DUMP. THEN THE WORRIES BELONG TO HIM!

5. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,

I met a retired gentleman once and I asked him what he was retired from. He told me that the first 20 years of his career he put up asbestos and then the next 20 years he took it down.

He was in excellent health!

6. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Travis,
    my pops said that he used to tear into it all the time. The stuff would fly everywhere and so far he hasn't seen any ill effects.

I would be more worried about some joker tearing if off for you then coming back and trying to sue you for not letting him know, or claim he was dying from it. Regardless if it was true. You can't put nothing past some people.

Also wouldn't want to pay the fine for getting rid of it illegally. Governments officalls get all excited over something like that.

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Both of my houses have asbestos under the brick. Luckily I have enough land that if one of them burned I would have the remains bull dozier-ed down and covered up on my property before the authorities could discover asbestos.

I agree with everything you posted. Asbestos is just something for the trial attorneys to get richer on.

I come from a southern textile community and the only reason you don't see the ads on TV to call if you have Brown Lung disease is because all of the textile industry is now overseas; otherwise, anyone who ever worked in a textile mill would be calling regardless of what was wrong with them.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I worked around asbestos for over 30 years in the petrochemical industry. All the old high temperature insulation was made of asbestos. I wore gloves made of asbestos while taking vibration readings on gas fired turbines. I woke up this morning feeling great.

Years ago the asbestos trial lawyers somehow got my name and sent me some literature.

I would never again put new shingles over old shingles. Many years ago State Farm in TX started paying for tear offs. They said covering old shingles was proven to shorten the life of new shingles.