Any reel suggestions

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BigCat72, Jun 14, 2006.

1. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Does anyone have any reel suggestions, I like the quantum iron 430 that they dont make any more and looking for some new reels to try, I have some abu 6500's and dont really like penn, I use mono 40lb mostly so would like a reel that holds decent amount of line. Thinking about a abu 7000 but would like to see other options if anyone can share any with me.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    If you want a really nice reel for not very much, try out a tidewater T20L or T30L, but DONT get them from Wal Mart. If you order them from Catfish Connection, I am almost sure you will like them. Another good reel would be a Cabela's Salt Striker spinning reel if you want to try a spinning reel (spinning reels arent really my preference, but I thought I would throw it in). My friend owns an Abu 7000, and it holds a good amount of line too. Most of these should hold a good amount of 40 pound test mono.

Also, may I ask the reason you dont like Penn? I have a 320LD and it is one of the best reels that I have ever handled in my life, and would have to be the reel I would recommend over all others. They cast great, hold a lot of line, have a loud clicker; I dont see what not to like.

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I agree with barbel I have 2 of the tidewater reels and haven't had any problems

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I think you already have the right reels if your boat fishing just back off the 40# mono and use 25 or 30# on your reels and they will work better for you. Use the 40# for your leaders. If your bank fishing you cant beat the ABU 7000 then stick with the 40# mono. Hope that helps. 777

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Try a quantum cabo levelwind, i'm not sure of the model but after fishing with one they are awesome! I've got a 7000 and a couple penns and the cabo will be the next reels i buy.

6. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    check out the okumas nice reels for the money.. i use 50lb test on mine..they are CL 300's love them for big water with lots of bottom structure. Use them on a 5ft 6inch ocean master rod, registered for 80lb test...no problems with them at all.

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one Okuma CL300L and two CL302L's. The 302L's are awesome and for some reason alot smoother than the 300. It holds about 300 yards of 30 pound big game and will cast forever on a 7 foot rod. I got mine off of ebay for about $35 each and will buy 3 more when I get the money. Chris

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    BigCat72, If you'll watch E-bay, occasionally there will be a couple of the Iron reels on there. I won an IR320 and an IR435CX on E-bay back before Christmas last year. I am very pleased with the 320. I like the 435 o.k.,but it's non-levelwind. I got it extremely cheep on E-bay and I only plan on using it for the occasional saltwater bottom fishing trip.

If money isn't an option, then I would go with the Quantum Cabo levelwind trolling reel. If you're like me and money is an option, then I would try and catch an Abu 6000-7000 reel on clearance somewhere. I bought an Abu 6500C3 on clearance a couple months ago for $40. I should go back a buy 3 or 4 more at that price. Also I believe you can buy a Penn 220 GTO at Catfish Connection for around $55. I've heard this is a good reel.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know what you get.

9. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Its the Cabo 30PTs,Ive just got one and its awesome. More drag than Abu's,smooth as silk,and big gears for winching power.

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i also have a penn 310gti with the 30lb big game.. thinking about 20 on it, awesome reel very smooth i have no complaints, first penn ive owned...

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you want something that can hold a fair amount of 40lb mono I would say step up to a Abu 9000 or 10000. That being said I just bought a quantum cabo clw20pt real nice reel. But not as smooth as my shimano Tekota 600. That real is smooth as silk. I quess I'll find out what one I like better for fishing. I'm sure there about equal though.

12. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    Hans, are you talking about the old tidewaters? On the new tidewaters, the outside is black graphite/plastic but the insides is a lot of steel. The main gear is the size of a silver dollar and all stainless steel. The main gears is like a bowl and holds all the drag discs, the drag discs are alternating carbon and steel washers. The reel foot is steel, the pinon gear is steel, I think even the yoke is stainless steel, as well as the screws and levelwind parts. Penns are mostly brass gearing, and it's softer. Sometimes it even gets damaged.

The levelwind gear is plastic on purpose on nearly all reels, it's supposed to give in case your levelwind hangs on a big fish. Plastic isn't necessarily bad because it resist salt corrosion, even a $399 Shimano Trinidad has a lot of plastic in it. For those who don't believe me, start opening up those reels.

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I would like to correct this. Only certain plastics will rot; not all of them will. I am a chemist of sorts and it just depends on the type of plastic that is used. Bacteria and other chemicals in the atmosphere like certain things in certain types of plastic, and if those certain things arent found in them, then they aren't biodegradable.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don: I am using a Pflueguer Trion baitcaster it's the round model 66, it's the only trion with a clicker. I was looking for something different so I got one, after using it a few time I got another, I really like them, I now have 4 of them and out of about 20 rod and reels the Pfluegers are my go to setups.
    I have used the Pflueger President for bass fishing for several years and find them hard to beat.

15. snagger93

snagger93 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't usually use anything except a okuma I got off ebay and a shimano with 15lb test occasianly I use a big catfish reel(don't remember brand at the moment)with 30lb test

16. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    No doubt, I have by far the best reel to get. The Tica Caiman CA200. The reel has 12 ball bearings and is smoother than phil collins....errr, did i say that out loud? This reel is awesome. Im about to buy another on ebay. Check out the review at tackletour.com. Also, the Abu Garcia Record is really nice.

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just call me dumb I guess. But what physical problems can you have with sticking bigger line on a reel then what it is rated for? I have done this numbers of times with reels and never once ran into a problem! As far as being able to cast a country mile there's a lot more factors then just the line on the reel.

18. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    The worm shaft guide on a reel would be the biggest problem with using too high a lb test. They dont make them as wide on smaller reels and if you use too high a lb test on a reel then you will get some unwanted rubbing. Thats one reason it wont cast very far. I would look at the rod in most cases than the reel. You shouldnt use heavier line than what a rod is rated for either.

19. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I like the Penn 330 GTi, its very durable. To me its a multipurpose reel I can use for blue cats or trolling for rock fish.I have two 7000c3 Abu's and the Penns seem alot more heavy duty. Also still made in America!

20. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    everyone pretty much said it.