Any recommendations for a sailor/marine homecoming fishing trip?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by navy_sean18, Jun 1, 2007.

1. navy_sean18

navy_sean18 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a good place to go for some bank fishing for cats. I am a sailor stationed in Washington on a submarine. My brother is a Marine coming home from Iraq. We both have some leave in July and are planning a camping/fishing trip with our father. We are originally from Lyons, if anyone is familiar with those whereabouts. It has been 5 years since we've gotten any time in the summer for fishing. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions based on current conditions. We fished Branched Oak before, and had great success. Is it still a good bet? Thanks to all for any suggestions!

2. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    well, first off tell your brother semper fi and welcome home. i was in the same boat about a year ago, coming home from camp pendleton and not having a clue where to fish. if theres anybody thats gonna help, its these guys here on this site. lyons, thats obviously by decatur, is that also by beemer? so not to far from west point and the elkhorn river. i had great luck there last year. but maybe i am thinking a different part of the state. good luck to you and your brother. jake

3. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    If you had good success at Branched Oak before, I'd give that a try. That's a tough lake and if you were doing something right out there, I'd stick with it. :big_smile:

Welcome home to you and your brother and thanks to you and your brother for serving our country. God Bless you both.

4. navy_sean18

navy_sean18 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks Jake for the reply. I cannot wait to get home tp the NE. I just wanna catch some cats!! Lyons is about 30 miles north of Fremont on highway 77. Maybe you and me and my bro should meet up for some cat fishin on the Elkhorn. You will have to point us in a good direction for some spots. Thanks for the help!!

5. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    anytime. let me know when you get home, hopefully the rivers slow down, they are high and fast right now.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    My advice would be to go and just enjoy each others company. Often times we put way to much emphesis on catching fish and not enough on the real reason we go, "which is to enjoy being out there" catching fish is just a bonus that comes with the territory.

PS. I whole heartedly appreciate and support You, Your Brother and, all of the other soldiers that are defending our great country and our way of life!!!