Any recent Aberdeen info?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by GMRcatman, Dec 25, 2009.

1. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wondering if anyone has had much luck recently for the skips? I hate making the 3 hour round trip for a big fat skunk. Thanks in advance.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    All I am hearing are bad reports from that area...:confused2:....Could try Meldahl though..I gave up on Skips a year ago.

3. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Tbull. I lost my reliable source from that area, so I appreciate any info.

4. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    I picked up skips this past May at Meldahl but since then I have netted a few smaller ones around the cincy area, and I have caught a lot of small ones over by Tanners creek at the discharges with 3 of them going about 15-17 inches. Have not tried in awhile though. I have never gotten one at Aberdeen...lots of shad there though.

5. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Brian, when was the last time you were at Aberdeen? Just curious.

6. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Last time I was at Aberdeen was probably back in April or May....its about an hour drive for me and since I can catch all the bait I need around here I dont head out there very much.

7. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, I have no problem with getting shad, it's just those dang skippies that are so elusive, for me at least.

8. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Oh they are elusive for everyone...not just you hahaha

9. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    It has been a few years since I have been up that way. But we could catch a few to use for our bluecat trips we were making that was upriver abit. It was a hot water discharge from some power plant. We used to catch a few skippies throwing a small white roostertail. We also caught alot of white bass. Than fished for our blues were the discharge emptied into the river.

10. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    Some big jacks were there last week although very hit or miss. I wouldn't make a long drive if stocking the freezer is your objective.

11. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Yeah it seems to be you need to be at the right place at the right time to pick them up. Nothing worse then making a long drive and not catching any.

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive been there many times in the past few months. No shad in there which equals no skippies. Im like scott, I wouldnt make no long trip. I was there last week with no luck.

13. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the update. I was thinking about making a trip to Tennessee but the reports from there haven't been much better. I am down to 4 skips in the freezer.:sad2:

14. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    More than me...I have 2 decent sized ones left (15 inchers) I have a gallon sized bag of the 4-5 inchers though...which the small channels enjoy the blues seem to like the big ass chunks

15. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am down to about a 160!!!!!!!! Bigguns. My 2 buddies are probably down to about a 160!!!!!! as well. Actually I dont think shad man has used any of his yet. Sorry couldnt help myself.

16. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    im kicking myself in the arse for not going with you guys now:sad2:

17. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i live in aberdeen we were down there during that hot spell we had in october and me and my buddy caught about 30 total but smallest being about 12 inches biggest about 24 inches... and tons of stripers... we fished from the bank where the creek comes out to the river RIGHT before dark.... (i caught a few in the throw net, by wading into the water)... but havent been in a while... was gonna go back soon. but start my new job thursday and will be working about 55 hrs a week at 12hr shifts... that and shed hunting will be hard to manage, have plenty of frozen shad and skippies in the deep freeze.... no info sry buddy. but gonna try fishing down at the discharge area soon... maybe later this month or maybe next...

18. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Was there on 1-07-10 an nothing no shad no skips no birds ,water was warm but slow flowing waste of time

19. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the update. I may go down just for the heck of it this week.