Any R/C Airplane Pilots out there

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SSG Johnson, May 17, 2006.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I'm looking for a good beginner R/C craft for my son to learn to fly only I have no Idea what would be good for him. Also I want one for myself and don't know where to begin. Any help would be aw some.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    First question is gas or electric? I went with electric, there are a multitude of beginner planes out there. Is there a group in your area with some flight instruction available, or just go and see the different types of planes?

Nothing like talking to people and seeing how the various planes perform.

If there isn't anybody close, and you want to learn on your own, there are some electrics that are quite easy to learn on, and are relatively inexpensve, anywhere from 45 bucks and up , depending on the aircraft and control systems.

Quite a few of the members in our club started with these, and continue to fly them in combat or as a nice gentle relaxing plane.

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_hobbyzone_aerobird_challenger.htm

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    How much for the extention chord?:tounge_out:

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Like what was posted before glow or eletric powered there are several to go with. been flying for over 40 years lol its a great hobby to share with your children.

5. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I also forgot to mention click on my profile and go to my website on my pic gallery i have several gallerys of planes if your interested in looking.

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Wow those are some great pics. I bought a HBZ7000Hobby Zone Firebird Freedom RTF R/C Airplane
    [Firebird Freedom Free Option:Free Drop Module HBZ6023the guy said that it was a great begginer plane it is electric. I spent alot of money at Wal Mart and the doggone plane just dont last 5 mins. I want to get a nice one for me and the boys. The man at the shop said we should start with this one and learn how to fly and then move up. I hope this one last over 5 min wasnt cheap. My youngest 3 yrs old just loves airplanes ever since I took him to the Drop Zone with me and he got to crawl around in the Otter and the Cessna. Thanks for the replys.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I fly r/c planes and r/c helicopters. There are many great beginner planes at Towerhobbies.com. Find a local flying club in your area and join the AMA. You can find info about the AMA on the net. All members of the AMA get accident insurance (over one million dollars) and I recommened them.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The bigger the better in my opinion with alot of dihedral in the wings.
    I have an 8' wingspan Telemaster I need to throw a 4 cycle engine in and some radio gear.
    I've got to get those bomb bay doors working properly. This thing will take 13 pounds aloft. I figure I can terrorize some folks by dropping pebbles on all the tin roofs around here.

If you can find them the Telemasters are great beginner planes. They are slow with alot of wing. So much wing you can do all sorts of things with a modest head wind like land it like a helicopter or fly it backwards.
    The Germans used the Telemasters to fly pull lines across valleys in preparation for stringing phone or power lines but I imagine they were using the 12' wing spanners.

One day I'd love to build one of those squirrely fliers like the Pitts Special.
    One you have to really fly constantly.

9. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yep the tele is a good ole plane but Mark A little hint for you. The pitts aint nothing to flythe biggest trait they have is nosing over on take off and landing but thats eaisly taken care of its called a lot of elevator on take off and landing otherwise they fly like any other sport plane.

10. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Just bought a B-52 Bomber cant wait to get that dude. It has a 42'' or 48'' wing span man I can not wait. Oh yea the boys are excited also......LOL

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Mutt, I'd love a quarter scale Pitts. What you reckon the cost of one of those turn keyed would be if I built it myself?

I have absolutely loved that plane since I flew in an open cockpit 2 seater.
    I briefly had the stick and pedals. It aint no Cessna 172:smile2:

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I know that several times a year they have hobbie shows and hobbie auctions and you can get every remote controlled you can imagin and some you cant! The last one I went t6o, they had a military drone, about 10 feet long, from ww2 that went for 700 bucks! I like gliders!

13. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Phil,
    I like gliders too, still have my first plane, and it's a glider.

Nothing like those afternoons catching a thermal over and over.

Now if I could find a flying field with a lake next to it!:lol:

14. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well Cermark has a nice 1/4 scale ARF pitts its 349.99 a aenoah g-26 would be 299.99 or a evo gt26 would be 360 if I recall a decent set of servos will run you around 25 a pop dont need super hi torque for a pitts unless your doing a model 12 pitts then you want ht and hs. A lot of it depends on what you want to put into it Mark.

Phil you like gliders? I have a gp spirit I built 3 years ago flown 5 or 6 times then we lost that field and my flider flying partner left the area and it hasnt been flown since you want it its yours. you will need radio and asorted for it.

Tomorrow is our grand opening at the store! man talk about living a dream aint to many guys who are into this hobby get to make a living at it lol.

Phil is there any place not to far away for going after cats I know mossdale is out also the wife keeps saying when are you and Phil going to get together and go fishing lol.

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The Cermark will fly fly very stable and you can set it up with expo. if you have a computer radio, cut back on the control surface deflection. Then you can also set it up to be an all out aerobatic tumbling maching.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just got out of the hobby about 8 months ago, I had planes and helis, electric 3d helis gas 3d helis, small electric planes all the way through a 35% Carden Edge 540. By the time I got out of it, I probably had about 13-14K worth of stuff including a trailer to haul all of it. I love the hobby but I cant afford a boat and all the hobby stuff and I would rather fish. The best trainer plane I have seen that is turn key is an Alpha .60 from Horizon Hobby. they are very stable and being bigger its easier to see for a beginner, as Mark said the bigger the better. Bigger planes are easier to see and control. I was an instructor at my club, if anyone has questions on the hobby let me know.