ANY PRECAUTION WITH CHICKEN LEVER ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by twisted, Jul 17, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

yea i know, just man up rite ? lol i just dont want to get sick from handling them. my luck ill end up putting it on the hook and then grab a chip with out thinking and get salmonella and be crapping like no ones business.:eek:oooh:

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    If u are nervous u will get sick which u wont but buy a bottle of purell :wink: Best idea is buy the chicken livers and make em up at the house and put em back in the contaior, make them up i mean by the way i do it for a 8/0 circle hook in river use. i use cut up panty hose and tie em up with sewin string. Just dont Take them out all day then take them home and put them in the fridge :smile2::roll_eyes::smile2:

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Get you some of those cheap plastic food handler gloves and wear them when you bait up. If anyone insults your manhood, tell them you prefer not to transfer your human smell to your bait. Then look at them and roll your eyes, as in every little fisherman learned that when they were 7. It's all in the spin.
    Rat

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Uh, I was eatin chips while fishin this mornin with liver. Made the chips taste real good! Fried up the rest for dinner, still feelin good! I've never heard of anybody getting sick off it, just rinse ur hands in the water, wipe'em dry, fix your buddy a sandwich first and wait an hour after he's done eatin before you fix yours.

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LOL Note To Self Do Not Eat Anything Brian Offers You On His Boat :big_smile_2:

6. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    ....or anything Mike keeps in his fridge.

7. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL True that. We gone out to eat the past two nights still has that smell in the fridge a lil :smile2:

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Dont use purell or anything that leaves a scent. Get some of that odor removing soap for hunters works real well.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have ate chips and sandwiches with shad cuts, chicken liver, worm crap and any thing else on my hands, been doing it for 35 years aint got sick yet.

I dont clean my hands till I get home from a fishing trip,

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know what you mean some guys on here pee on there hands when they get stuck by a catfish,i think ill take the liver lol.heck after awhile you will build up immunity and it wont bother you.:wink:

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to use livers all the time. Then I began to notice after much handling of the livers that a few days later, I was loosing skin off my fingers and hands. Now I just use cut baits.

One of the last times I used livers, I had a big ole mess of them and the fish werent biting, so we built a fire and split open a beverage can and cooked the mess of livers and ate them on the river bank.....just make sure you get them done....ours was about half raw. One too many beers!:crazy:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If there was any possible deadly disease you could catch from eating food with livers,fish slime,scales,or any other fishing crud on your hands,I would have been dead a long time ago! I wash my hands with purell at the end of the night ,that,s only so I don,t have to hear the ol lady bitch at me about how the steering wheel smells when she drives the truck!:crazy:

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Me too. I would be dead a looooong time ago. Great post.:wink:

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats always been a major concern, thats why i always wash off my hands in the river before eating and wash off the bait cuttin knife in the river before cuttin my sandwich:eek:oooh:

15. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Made one mistake with chicken liver ...Just baited my hook and cast out and without thinking I grabed me 3 fingers of dip and layed it in my lip...GOD IT WAS AWFUL:dribble:. Don't dip anymore so I don't worry about that happening again:crazy:.

John

16. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    wow John I think that has to be the grossest of them all:0a30:

17. twisted

twisted New Member

well thanks for all the info and the chuckles i got from some of the posts. ill chime in when i get the craps after handling them ;)

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

if you're using fresh livers you should be fine. I must admit to several times diggin in some liver and then diggin in my dip can and puttin in my mouth:eek:oooh:. No problems yet just a funny after taste:smile2:

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I always chew after baiting.... I am still here to tell about it:smile2:

20. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    yes i have gotten sick before,i'm not sure if it was the chicken liver on my dippin fingers or the 6 pack of busch pounders and bean burritos. ethier way your screwed