Any Prariedog Hunters? What gun?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by TeamCatHazzard, Feb 20, 2006.

1. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys I am thinking about taking a prariedog hunt this summer and was wondering what you all shoot for them. I was thinking about the 22-250 but was curious to see what someone that has done it thought. Also what scope do you use, Im a leupold guy myself but was wondering what power you use. I have never been huntin for the little critters before but really wanna do it!

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    22-250 is a popular round. Additionally the 222,223,17 rem, 218 superbee, 22 hornet, etc etc. I like the .243 or 6mm. With a light round the difference in drop at 400 yrds is a couple of inches between the 243/22-250. However with the .243 I can use heavier loads and hunt much larger critters.

Buy what you are confident shooting. Just remember Tom Horn pulled off a shot at ranges thought impossible. He knew his rifle and what it could do. Shoot in all kinds of weather adn wind. That way you know how to adjust and turn the dogs into pretty pink showers.

Good shooting.

I like the 105 howitzer. Gives you a bit of fudge factor. lol

3. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Lol yea the howitzer would be a good choice.:) I think I am leaning towards taking a 22-250 because it would just be a good varmint gun to have. Thanks for the info!

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would have to say the best gun for doggin would be the .17 Remington. I got one last year and it's a dog kill'n machine. The .17 is quite so all those dogs won't go diving into their holes, it has no recoil, the barrel won't get hot as fast as the 22-250, you can spot your own shots, it's a tack driver, and it's accurate out to 300 yards plus. You said you like leupold this would be a great scope to have, they cost more than most scopes, but they're w/ out a doubt worth it. I use a leupold VX-ll 4-12 and it works great. At the VFW they just got a new howitzer do you think they would let me borrow it this spring? :)

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    The .243 will also drift less in the wind...something to think of when taking those longer shots. AND the 22-250 is quite abit more expensive than the .223 when buying ammo. I'd choose between a .223 and .243. I have a 22-250 (don't prairie dog hunt though) and love it. Its just one of those "if I could do it over again" type things. If you plan on doing ALOT of prairie dog hunting the 22-250 is considered a "barrell-burner" and won't last as long as the .223 or .243. Of course, if takes alot of rounds...but one more thing to weigh into the decision.

Now that I dumped on the 22-250 I will say that it has a very very strong following with the doggin' crowd, and that's not by mistake.

6. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    After looking at the balistics I am pretty sure i am going with the .243 because I just think it is more of a longer range gun and i can use it for deer hunting as well. I can also shoot a heavier grain bullet for less wind drift as well. So thats the way Im goin. Thanks for the nput!

7. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Well never mind I ended up gettin me a gun! I bought a Kimber .22-250 with a Leupold varmint scope. I cant wait to head to the range and sight this baby in! Thanks for the input guys!

8. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    My dad has a 22-50. We use it for coyotes. He shot one at about 250 yards and dropted in its tracks.

P.S. Go to www.explodingvarmints.com and get there video it is so sweet.

9. I saw something that TA2D showed me a while back where someone took one of those high powered 50cal rifles with those huge block compensators on the end and they were turning those varmits into nothing but a red mist. Hopefully he will read this and show us all where those videos are.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    You made a good choice, I have several barrels and different guns, and for long range shooting you will be happy with the 22-250, a lot flatter shooting if you shoot hand loads tha the 243, and more than enough energy, I will say other than on windy days, a 17 rem is very good choice.

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    a 223 with some ssx hornady bullets is top notch. if you have too much recoil or shoot them too far away, you can't see them flop and it sucks. 17 rem is a barrel burner too.

12. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    .17 HMR shooting Hornaday ammo, great gun pretty cheap to shoot

13. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    I love to shoot my 22-250. lots of prairie dogs and coyotes have bit the dust.
    Almost went with the .243, glad I picked the 22-250
    catwacker

14. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would suggest using a .270, so you can reach out and touch them. It is also a good deer rifle also. Just my two cents.

chris

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i shoot an old rem mod788 in 223 it shoots 5 shots i can sover wth a dime at 100 yds with 52 grain speer hp its explosive on them but the same load makes a 22 cal entry on coyotes and does not exit for me its perfect

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    22 long rifle it will shoot forever and no dog is going to outrun it. cheap to shoot and you won't burn up a barrel. many large animals to include humans are killed with the good old fasion 22 round every year but you could use a 20mm cannon to get the job done also.

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Man ,This BOC site just keeps getting better, not only is it a site for the best fishing their is "cat-fishing and Metal detecting" but You have members that like shooting Prarie dogs. It Just doesn't get any better then this, all three of my hobbies all on one site. Hear in California, we don't have the Prarie dogs But we have their cousins, the ground squirrels, they are just a little smaller and I mean we have a lot of them. I have just been hunting them for about five years now and Still shoot a Rugar 10-22, with a 3-9 Bushnell, But I can Kill my share, This buddy of mine that I hunt and fish with turned me on to squirrel hunting, Him and I will go out and dust 50 to 75 every time we go out. He just bought a Ruger 17 and then ordered 3000 rounds to go with it, that is a nice shooting gun and he can hit them squirrels out their so far out I can hardly see them. I like my 10-22 because I can get a brick of 525 rounds for eleven dollars at big five when they are on sale, and being on a fixed income that is much better then buying the 17 rounds. Not near as good a gun but It will do me. Hey I am happy to be a new member, and I do love this site. have a great guys.
    Catfish slick